Giacomo Auchetto, an Italian aged 44 years, left England in October 1855 on the Eagle, arriving in Australia in January the following year. He married Honora Fogarty on 15 January 1859 at the Moriac chapel by the catholic priest Michael Farrelly. Honora was born in 1829 in Tipperary, Ireland. They had the following children:
Mary Ann — born 1858 in Geelong, died 9 January 1954 at Warragul
Michael — born 1862 in Geelong, died 8 June 1948 at Kalgoorlie
John Francis — born 1863 at Geelong, died 24 January 1935 at Ballarat aged 72
Giacomo leased 10 acres on the east side of Mill Road (Hendy Main Road) at Mount Moriac from CJ Dennys where he ran a vineyard. Later Eugene Frasse leased the vineyard.
On 18 April 1864 Giacomo was admitted to Geelong Hospital suffering from severe internal injuries. A combination of a bad road and a badly behaved horse caused him to be thrown out of the wagon he was driving. As often happened when these accidents occur, the wheel of the wagon ran over him.
Honora died on 4 May 1918 at Ballarat.
Lewis Charles, son of James and Penelope (née Baynes) Conran was born in 1821. He was a Lieutenant-Colonel who served in the 56th and 11th regiments in Canada and Jamaica. In the 1840s he went to Norfolk Island in charge of convicts. When he came to Victoria in 1851, just before the gold rush, he was appointed Sergeant-at-Arms to the Legislative Assemble and aide-de-camp to Governor Latrobe. He returned to England in 1852.
He married Catherine Spencer, daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann (née Barry) Wills in 1850. They had the following children:
Thomas — born 1850, married Evelyn Ford in 1878, died 1915
Henry — born 1851, married Mary Molle in 1886, died 1924
Charles — born 1854, married Helen Brock in 1897, died 1939
Marcell — born 1855, married married Charlotte McLacklan in 1881, died 1935
Kate — born 1863, died 1964
Catherine died on 27 August 1884 aged 52 years.
Lewis returned to Geelong in 1874, taking up farming at Highton, living on the west side of Thornhill Road (south of Bonsey Road) at Barrabool House, a seven roomed dwelling with kitchen, pantry and stabling. The address of the house now is 13 Pepperdine Way. He grazed sheep and cattle on his land. In 1878 he applied for and was granted a slaughtering license.
In 1888 he married Catherine Sarah, daughter of Hugh Lawrence McLeod from Claremont, Waurn Ponds. They had the following children:
Hugh — born 1889, married Edith Cooke in 1918, died 1957
Noel — born 1891, died 1916
Enid — born 1892, died 1960
Catherine died on 21 August 1941 at Kandy in Ceylon.
Lewis was a South Barwon Shire councillor serving from 1876 until 1886 and was president from 1879 until 1880. He was also a Barrabool Shire councillor from 1878 until 1881 including a term as president in 1880. He was a member of St John's Church of England in Highton and for some time sat in the Church Assembly. He died on 10 January 1892, aged 72 years and was buried in the Church of England section of the Highton Cemetery with his first wife Catherine. He left an estate valued at £6642.
In 1875 the families moved to the Shepparton area. John took up a selection at Tallygaroopna and Matilda took up the allotment next to it. John and Mary retired from farming in 1890 and moved into a small cottage in Shepparton where John died on 8 May 1998. Mary died on 29 August 1904 at the home of her daughter at Tallygaroopna. They were both buried in a family grave at Shepparton Cemetery.
A book written by Bob Argus traces the Argus family back to villages in Devon and Cornwall, where the family name was Hargest. The difficulties of his ancestors are described in interesting detail. They were very early settlers of this district where three of John Argus' children married three of Lawrence Trewin's. In the mid 1870s the families shifted to the Shepparton area to gain more land and a better future. Although the book is written as a story it includes maps, documents and family trees.
Charles Brearley, eldest son of John Brearley and Ann née Dean was born in Hartshead, Yorkshire in 1852. He arrived in Australia in September 1854 with his parents and sister Helen. In 1874 he married Hannah Mary, daughter of Henry and Hannah (née Stott) Chaster. Hannah was born in 1853 in Halifax, Yorkshire. She came to Australia with her parents and brothers arriving in Melbourne on the Gypsy Bride on 10 March 1857. Charles and Hannah had the following children:
Agnes Jane — born 1874, married James E Cranstoun, died 1920
Florence — born 23 July 1876, married John Charles Briggs on 7 September 1899 at Christ Church Geelong, died 1960
John Henry — born 1878, Hilda Priscilla Churches in 1904, died 1965
Charles William — born 1880, died 1904 of scarlet fever in Perth WA
Mabel — born 12 November in Chilwell,1883, died in February 1910 at her mother's house, Kiora, 52 Kilgour Street, Geelong, buried on 21 February 1910 in the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Haidee — born 7 November 1885, married William H Fegan, died 28 October 1956, buried at Colac Cemetery
Hilda May — born 1887, married George William Harris in 1919, died 1961
Percy Chaster — born 1889 at Maude Street Geelong, died 1957 at Charlton
Charles worked for most of his life as a currier and tanner, except for a couple of years when he was farming and living in Breakwater.
He was a keen sportsman playing cricket for Breakwater and serving in various positions in the club. Later he played for St Albans. He also played football for Breakwater, but was not as successful as his brother Sharp.
He was a member of the Geelong Voluntary Artillery unit. While taking part in practice he had a terrible accident and died on 28 March 1891 aged 38 at Fort Queenscliff. His remains were interred at the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery.
(it's rather gory, but you can read it if you want)
Hannah died on 7 July 1929 and was buried with him.
NB Charles Brearley who married Mary Sarah Attridge in 1869 is not the same person.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History