The Burville family were of French descent. They have been traced back to France to about 1600 when the family name was "de Burville". As Hugenots, they fled to England for religious and political reasons where they settled in Kent. In the 1850s members of the family migrated to Australia. Burvilles Road, Mount Duneed is named after the Burville family who lived along the road, and remained there until the land was sold as a crematorium and cemetery.
John Burvill, son of John Burvill and Eliza née Wale, bought the land on the corner of Torquay Road and Whites Road in 1854. Fourteen acres of this land was sold to Robert Broughton in 1876. He was a teacher and superintendent of the Grovedale Methodist Sunday School for thirty-six years.
John married Mary Ann Radford in 1862. It was in this generation that the name changed to Burville. They had the following children:
Louisa — born in 1863 at Duneed, married Oscar John Comstock in 1901, died in 1954 aged 91 years at Camberwell
Laura — born in 1864 at Duneed, died in 1948 aged 84 years at Royal Park, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Annie Maria — born in 1865 at Mount Duneed, died on 13 June 1937 aged 70 years, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Eliza — born and died in 1866, buried in an unknown location at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Arthur — born on 18 August 1867, married Elizabeth Ann Challis in 1896, died on 15 October 1927 aged 60 years at Ballarat
Charles William — born in 1869 at Mount Duneed, died in 1870 aged 10 months at Mount Duneed, buried in an unknown location at the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Frederick — born in 1870 at Mount Duneed, died in 1871 aged 6 months at Mount Duneed, buried in an unknown location at the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Rosina — born in 1871 at Duneed, died in 1871 aged 4 months, buried in an unknown location at the Mount Duneed Cemetery on 15 November 1871
Walter — born on 26 June 1872 at Mount Duneed, married Ann Sarah Barlow in 1904, died on 19 October 1946 aged 75 years at Geelong, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Alice — born in 1873 at Mount Duneed, married August Hartwich in February 1895, died on 10 September 1958 aged 84 years, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
John — born in 1875 at Mount Duneed, died in 1876 aged 16 months, buried in an unknown location at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Mary Isabel — born in 1877, married Richard Stockdale in 1910, died on 24 Jun 1952 aged 72 years at Wonthaggi
Alfred John — born in 1879 at Mount Duneed, died in 1927
John died on 23 August 1902 at his residence at Mount Duneed at the age of 70 years and was buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery with Laura, Mary and Annie and his mother Eliza who had married Robert Andrews.
The Barrabool Road Board, the forerunner of the Shire of Barrabool, met in the evening on the last Friday of each month at the Chamber of Commerce building, 81 Moorabool Street, Geelong. In 1862 they began meeting at the new office at Mount Moriac. The secretary attended the shire hall on Thursdays from 10 am to 3 pm.
Barrabool had purchased two acres in Hendy Main Road, north of Colac Road for £24. On this land they erected a hall costing £399. It was the meeting place of the Barrabool Road Board, and then the shire council from the time of its formation in 1865. " In that year council improved the building, accepting John Peter's tender of £84/10/- for the erection of stables and fences and the making of a covered drain. Later an inner porch was added and the interior was furnished with two small tables, two chairs, a hat tree for the councillors and seats for ratepayers. In 1867 John Malone was granted the right to grow vegetables on the ground at the back of the hall, but in 1868 council decided to do its own planting — with trees and shrubs supplied by Daniel Bunce, curator of the Geelong Botanic Gardens. Vandals later uprooted a dozen or more of these soon after planting — a £10 reward for apprehension of the culprits was offered. This destruction occurred despite the appointment of Edward Carroll as caretaker in November 1866 at £10 per annum. The sum paid fluctuated over the years, rising as high as £20, and the duties of messenger and bill poster were added to the post. Carroll resigned in 1885 and was replaced by Michael Gurrie. The latter refused to accept a reduction of his remuneration in the depression year of1894 and Reuben Clarke was appointed. He in turn was replaced by James Buckley in 1898" . from Barrabool Land of the Magpie by Ian Wynd
Before the council offices in Moorabool Street, South Geelong were used, council business was carried on for a time at the home of the secretary/engineer, Henry Moors in Drumcondra, later at the Geelong and Cressy building at the corner of Malop and Yarra Streets, followed by the Colonial Mutual Assurance Society building in Malop Street Geelong.
Brick offices built in front of the former Order of the Sons of Temperance building at 441-3 Moorabool Street, South Geelong became the next shire office. This was done at a cost of £13,000. Later the offices were moved to Grossmans Road, Torquay.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History