William Moreland was a Barrabool Shire councillor from 1871 until 1875. He farmed 150 acres called Sheepwash Farm at Pollocksford for eleven years. He married Mary Elizabeth Clancy. They had the following children:
William Campbell — born on 22 February 1866 at Pollocksford, died in 1867 at Gnarwarre
Margaret Janet — born in 1867 at Mount Moriac, died on 23 October 1938 aged 71 at Healesville
Mary Elizabeth — born in 1870 at Ceres, died on 28 August 1947 at Healesville
Thomas Robert — born on 7 November 1871 at Sheepwash Farm at Gnarwarre
Ellen Theresa — born in 1874 at Ceres
Isabel — born on 9 August 1876 at Mary Park at Jerilderie NSW
Amy Ada — born about 1884, died in 1937 aged 53 at Healesville
Clare — married Neil Wilson
William judged sheep at local shows. He held a slaughtering license. Prior to leaving the district for the Riverina a dinner was held at the Gnarwarre Hotel. The family moved to a property, "Mary Park", on Yanko Creek in the Jerilderie district where they stayed until after William's death in 1897. The property was still in the possession of the executors when a fire destroyed the woolshed and its contents in 1902. The family moved to Melbourne and later to Healesville.
George, son of James and Helen (née Easton) Tait, was born in 1844. In 1872 he married Jane Gill (1845-1885) at Connewarre. George, Jane and George's brother Robert selected land in the Omeo Plains, south of Lake Omeo on 4 June 1875. George and Jane's children were:
Minnie Margaret — born 1873, married Robert Henry Blair, died 7 November 1935 at 51 Spring Street at Geelong West
Helen May — born 1876, died 27 August 1945 aged 68, buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Alexander Stuart — born 1877, died 17 November 1896 aged 19 at Perth WA
James Easton — born 1879 at Omeo, died 9 January 1900 aged 21, buried in the Presbyterian section of Mount Duneed Cemetery
George Lewis — born 1885, died 14 June 1885 at Omeo, buried at Omeo Cemetery
Jane died on 5 July 1885 at Omeo. After Jane's death, George returned to the Geelong district.
In 1887 he married Mary Jane Blair. Their children were:
Emily Ann — born 28 February 1888, married William Palmer on 18 December 1915 at St George's Presbyterian Church, died 7 November 1950 at Geelong
William George — born 1890, married Ruth Lloyd, died 1954
Lilian Jane — born 1893, married Albert William Cole in 1923, died 6 October 1944
Alice Kate Victoria — born 1895, married John Horace Stephens in 1919, died 25 May 1954 at Barwon Heads
Robert Joshua — born 1898, married Florence May Bailey, died 1978 at Geelong
Alick John — born 1901, married Janet Margaret Campbell in 1927, died 1950 at Creswick
Ronald James — born 1906, married Edith McGillivray Campbell in 1930, died 7 August 1967
Isabella — married John Campbell in 1930
He was a South Barwon Shire councillor serving from 1895 until 1898.
George died on 3 June 1923 aged 79 and was buried in the Presbyterian section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Mary Jane died in 1946 aged 80 and was buried with him.
The Dee family of Germantown & Thompsons Ck (now Grovedale & Freshwater Ck)
Our next meeting is at 7:30pm on 13 February, 2020 at Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed.
In 1857 Johann Friedrich and Ann Elizabeth Seiffert and their four children emigrated from Germany on the Peter Godeffroy. Dirleen Bufton, a descendant of the original settlers, who has written a book outlining the family story will tell of their reasons for making the long journey and of their descendants.
Connewarre Flour Mill and its 19th Century Competitors
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History