On 27 January 1867 Harold Humphrey of Connewarre had a fatal accident. He fell from his wagon and was run over by the wheel. He left his widow, Hester, destitute. A tea meeting was held on 15 February at Mount Duneed Church School to raise funds to support the family.
In March the Gazette named the following men to be trustees of land set aside for Wesleyan Church purposes at Mount Duneed:
John Parkes Hope
In August Sons of Temperance held a public meeting at Mount Duneed. A requisition was signed for the formation of a division at Mount Duneed. Among them were Messrs Hope, Landale, Abercrombie and Angus.
In October a farmer named Thomas Caldwell, who lived at Mount Duneed, met his death through a tree which he was cutting, falling upon him, and striking him upon the head. He left a widow and two children.
Bonfires were planned at Mounts Moriac and Duneed to celebrate the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh's to Victoria.
A boy in the employ of Mr Trewin, farmer, of Mount Duneed, was drowned in a waterhole in that locality.
Burials at Mount Duneed
Jane Hill — 22 February
Louisa Palmer — 15 March
Ellen Fuller — 25 March
Ellen Brown — 26 March, aged 2 years
Mary Eady — 20 April
Mary Humphrey — 3 May
John Land — 14 May, aged 37 years
Joseph Southall — 7 July
Stephen Cain — 29 July, aged 56 years
Charles Roulier — 9 December 1867
Burials at Germantown
Mary Kubial — 6 March, aged 6 years
Amalie Schulz — 10 April, aged 2 years
Martha Betts — 23 April
Gottlieb Alwegge — 13 June, aged 36 years
Johann Hannasky — 21 June
Anna Petzke — 20 October, aged 23 years
Burials at Freshwater Creek
Maria Louise Kubiel — died 6 March aged 6 years
Johann Gottfried Robert Liebhard — 16 July aged 21
Adolph Gustav Schmidt — 27 January aged 83, husband of Margaret
John Doherty was born in 1825 in Van Diemens Land. In 1853 he married Bridget Mary, daughter of Pat and Cath Mcinnaray (this is the name given on Bridget's death record, although it is McNerney on her marriage record). Bridget was born in Limerick, Ireland. John and Bridget had the following children:
Frederick — born 30 August 1854, died 31 March 1862
Patrick William — born 1855, married Susan Cleverly (1859-1948), died 22 May 1932
James — born 7 May 1857, died 10 March 1861
Robert — born 1858, died 10 April 1862
John — born 1860, married Ellen O’Callaghan, died 20 June 1897
John died in August 1861 at the age of 36 and was buried on 6 August. Geelong Cemetery Trust record the burial as the first in the Mount Duneed Cemetery although the cemetery was not gazetted until 1864.
In 1864 Bridget married Swiss vigneron Louis Roulier at her brother’s home. Bridget’s name is recorded as Docherty, probably a misspelling of Doherty. Three children are recorded as being buried in the grave with John Doherty — 1 year old Louis Roulier on 1 September 1866, 1 year old Charles Roulier on 9 December 1867 and a Roulier child of unknown age.
Louis bought land in Whites Road, between Williams and Ghazeepore Roads about 1874. A family member has said that Louis worked for Andrew White of Hillside who lived in adjoining land. It is known that grapes were once grown at Hillside, so his skills may have been useful for vine dressing.
Louis died in 1880 and was buried on 17 December in the Catholic section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. He is the only one recorded on the headstone. Bridget died on 27 May 1890 at the age of 55 and was buried with him.
When Bridget died on 27 May 1890 she owned 3 blocks in allotment B of section 21. These blocks were in Whites Road between Ghazeepore and Williams Roads.
The grave of William and Mabel Ellis next to the grave of their son George
In an exceptionally short will John Ford left his estate to his wife Hester when he died on 7 June 1892. When Hester died she left the farm to her son John and other assets to Ann. The land on the corner of McCanns and Horshoebend Road was described as a grass paddock. The farm in the block bounded by Burvilles, Barwarre, Horshoebend and Boundary Roads was owned by Benjamin Blyth at the time of his death on 24 November 1918, but was later farmed by a fourth generation of the Ford family. It is currently being developed as Ashbury.
Joseph Rainford died intestate. When Elizabeth died she left assets she had inherited from her husband to sons, John and James and daughter Margaret. Her land in Whites Road, between Torquay and Williams Roads is shown in the map above.
Nathaniel Brown was born in Derbyshire on 18 March 1815. In 1854 he had a severe illness and came to Australia later that year under medical advice to move to a warmer climate. After retiring in 1890, he returned to Nottingham at the age of 76 to repay debts incurred before his migration.
When he died at the age of 91 in August 1906 a lengthy funeral procession left the Yarra Street Methodist Church, where he had been a prominent member for over forty years, for his interment at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. His late wife, Caroline, had died in December 1855 at the age of 34 years. The unveiling of their restored tombstone in 2003 by Allan Willingham was followed by a short walk looking at examples of Brown’s work. In 1865 he married Mary Toan.
At Brown’s 90th birthday celebration he received congratulations from a large number of relatives and friends. He was described as hale and hearty, had been closely associated with the Methodist Church, Geelong, from the earliest days. He was an enthusiast in Sunday school worker, and was specially gifted in addressing scholars, his addresses being characterised by their originality and effectiveness. He had recently retired from active church and Sunday school work and with his wife, who was also a teacher in the school, are both keen to see the work they loved carried on by a younger generation.
Brown was the superintendent of the Noble Street Sunday School for many years where he was always listened to attentively. He noticed that both teachers and children got into the bad habit of coming late. He announced that each Sunday morning he would tell an interesting story for five minutes before the opening. Very few came late after that.
After Brown’s death, in October 1906, the Geelong Advertiser printed a letter which had appeared in a Nottingham newspaper years prior:
John Parkes, son of George and Lucy (née Hill) Hope, was born in Wainfleet, Lincolnshire, England on 11 January 1807.
His first wife was Ann Wilis who was born in 1810 in England. They had three children:
Ann Hope — born 1833
John Parkes Hope — born 1834
Eliza Hope — born 1837
Ann died in Warwickshire, England on 13 June 1840
His second wife was Hannah Sims, daughter of William Broadbent and Mary Avins, who was born on 22 March 1813 in Manchester, England. She had previously been married to Nicholas Sims and had two children, Nicholas Sims (born 1833) and Ann Sims (born 1836) before she married John. They had three children:
Hannah Maria Hope — born 1844
Amelia Hope — born 1845
Thomas Edward Hope — born 1850
Hannah died on 7 February 1850 in Surrey, England
His third wife, whom he married in Melbourne on 22 December 1855, was Elizabeth Savage, called Eliza by the family. She was the daughter of Thomas Savage and Sarah née Clinton, born in Ireland on 4 March 1833. He lived with his family on a forty acre farm on the corner of Williams and Mount Duneed Roads. A number of professions have been attributed to him, namely surveyor, architect, builder, carpenter, stonemason, glazier and plumber. They had nine children:
William George Hope — born 2 May 1856, married Florence Nicholson, died 6 June 1902 in North Melbourne
Sarah Hope — born 28 September 1957, died 11 May 1865 at Mount Duneed
Henry Clinton Hope — born 18 November 1860, died 27 April 1863 at Mount Duneed
Frances Elizabeth — born about 1860, died 1863 Ashby
Emily Ellen Hope — born 1862, married William Gunn on 23 July 1885, died 7 July 1938
Thomas Savage Hope — born 1864, died 24 August 1884 at Hotham West
Roberta Jane Hope — born 1866, married Johnathon Goode Tanner on 6 October 1888, died 23 June 1941 at Gomandale
Elizabeth Hope — born 16 November 1867, married James Freeman 24 November 1885, died 1888 at South Melbourne
Lucy Hope — born 3 Jun 1869, married Alexander Clinton Hitchcock, died 29 July 1938 at Melbourne
Joseph Hope — born 16 May 1872, died 2 September 1941 at South Melbourne
John was appointed one of four trustees for land set apart of 8 April 1856 for Wesleyan Church purposes at Mount Duneed.
He built the chapel and was a lay preacher at the time of its opening in 1857. He composed the following for the opening service. As it was the same year that "Claremont", the Baum family farmhouse, was built it appeared on the back of the invitation to the 130th celebrations held on 3 and 4 October, 1987 at Ghazeepore Road, Waurn Ponds. The chapel was directly behind the property where Gottfried Baum was born.
A voice from the mountain is crying, come up to the house of the Lord
The heralds of mercy are flying with light of salvation abroad
The banners of Christ are unfurling, arise now for Jesus our King
The powers of evil o’er-turning Good news to the captives we bring
The wilderness budding and blooming, the arm of the Lord is made bare,
His message of mercy is coming and melody rings through the air
The fields of the trees clap their hands and the valleys are shouting for joy
Then come ‘tis the Saviour’s command, of hell to destroy
Come up, ‘tis the moment of need, a temple we’ve built for our King
Near the summit of lovely Duneed, that the servants of Jesus may bring
The words that so gladden the heart on the morning of each Sabbath day
To be blessed as we meet and we part … to worship, to praise, and to pray.
He also built a Wesleyan Church in 1863 at Drysdale.
He died on 25 October 1878 at Mount Duneed and was buried in an unmarked grave in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. He left £120 real estate and £5 personal property for the benefit of his wife and after her death to be divided among his children. Elizabeth died at the home of her daughter Roberta at Blackwarry on 9 August 1918.
Henry and Deborah (née Brown) Brien left County Tyrone, Ireland and sailed for Australia on the Chandernagore arriving in July 1854. Shipping records give their age as 49. They brought with them:
Mary (24 years)
Henry (22 years, died 1907 Macorna)
Mary (21 years)
Honora (21 years)
William (20 years)
Mary (19 years)
Catherine (17 years, married Thomas Spowart in 1874, died 1904 Pyramid Hill)
Lucinda (17 years)
Margaret (16 years)
Ann (13 years, died Mount Duneed 1892)
Sproul (11 years, died Birregurra aged 67).
Henry farmed land in Mount Duneed Road, Freshwater Creek. The farm was known as "Ballanware Park".
The following are interred in the triple plot in the Methodist section at Mount Duneed Cemetery:
Henry Brien — died 23 October 1864 aged 65
Deborah Brien, wife of Henry — died September 1883 aged 87
Mary Ann Brien, daughter of Sproul and Sarah — died 3 October 1876 aged 3½ of Scarlet Fever
Mary Ann Brien (née Ardill), wife of Henry Brien — died 12 September 1870 aged 36
William Brien, son of Henry and Sarah — died 14 June 1865, 7 months
Jane Ardill — died 5 May 1870 aged 32
Jane was the daughter of Benjamin Ardill and Ann (née Gunson) of Nenagh, Ireland. Her sister, Sarah, married Sproul Brien on 19 September 1867. She died of Colonial Fever; a disease we now know as Typhoid.
Sproul and Sarah had the following children:
Alfred — born Duneed 1868, died 1924 Birregurra aged 56
William Henry — born Duneed 1871, died Colac 1949 aged 78
Mary Ann — born 1873, died Freshwater Creek 3 Oct 1876
Sproul — born Mount Duneed 1875, died Birregurra 1941 aged 65
Ardill James — born Mount Duneed 1877, died Colac 1955 aged 77
Sarah Ann — born Mount Duneed 1882
John — born Mount Duneed, died Colac 1956 aged 76
Sproul died on 5 March 1913 and was buried at the Birregurra Cemetery. Sarah died in June 1924 and is buried with him.
Henry married Sarah's sister Mary Ann Ardill in 1855. Their children were:
Mary Ann — born Duneed 1860, died Cohuna 1925
Benjamin — born 1857, died Geelong 1857
Henry — born 1858 Duneed
Ann Margaret — born 1860 Duneed
Ardill — born 1862 Duneed
William Jonathan — born 1865 Geelong, died 1865 Jan Juc (Bellbrae)
Sarah Jane — born 1866 Geelong
Henry died in 1907 at Macorna, near Kerang at the age of 56. Mary Ann died on 12 September 1870 at the age of 36 and is buried in this family plot at the Mount Duneed Cemetery.
When Henry Brien died he owned the western portion of section 23 allotment F (40 acres), which is in Mount Duneed Road. This land was described as average grass land with post and rail fence (and a bad one) and the only buildings were two slab huts. George Hillard lived to the east. Section 23 is bound by Anglesea, Mount Duneed, Reservoir Roads and Bogans Lane.
In 1848 David Hill Dow sailed to the Geelong districton on the Aurora, bringing with him his wife Agnes née Lamont, and three sons, John Lamont (11 years), Robert (7 years) and Thomas Kirkland (a baby) and daughter Agnes (9 years) . He became a station overseer and a Barrabool shire councillor from 1867 to 1870. He acquired what had been Hindhaugh's "Forest Station".
Son, John Lamont Dow was born on 8 December 1837 at Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland. He became minister of lands, agriculture and mines in the 1886-90 Gillies-Deakin coalition. He was responsible for the introduction of land tax. He married Marion Jane Orr in 1869 and had three sons and five daughters. The eldest, David McKenzie Dow (1870-1953) was official secretary for Australia in America in 1924-31 and acting commissioner-general in 1931-38. He died in Melbourne on 16 July 1923. Further reading http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/dow-john-lamont-3433
Son, Thomas Kirkland Dow was born on 4 July 1848 at Glasgow. He was an agricultural journalist working for the Leader and the Australasian after teaching in a state school near Ballarat for many years. He went overseas for the Age in 1898. He married Margaret Campbell née Keith, daughter of Andrew and Euphemia Keith of Freshwater Creek.. They had two sons and three daughters. He died at Tresco on 2 March 1918.
Son Robert who was born about 1841 died on 27 September 1866 and is buried at the Mount Duneed Cemetery. His mother Agnes Lamont Dow who died on 31 December 1874 is buried with him.
After the death of his wife David Dow left the district to take up a position as a station manager at Great Western, near Stawell. He married Barbara Stewart Marshall and had two more sons. After her death he married Agnes Hodge who was his widow after he died.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History