William Landale, a native of Scotland, came to Australia at the age of 24 aboard the Queen of the Seas, arriving in September 1854. In 1857 at Cairns Memorial Church in East Melbourne, he married Maria Rosevair née Rouse, a native of St Austell, Cornwall, who was the same age as him and came to Australia on the Joshua, arriving in the same year and month. She had lived for many years in Jersey and probably married while there as her name was Fontaine when she married William.
William and Maria had the following children:
Jean — born 1858 at Geelong, married Stewart McIntyre in 1882
Maria — born 1860, died at 5 months, buried on 15 Jun 1860 in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Henry — born 1862 at Duneed
Elizabeth Rosevair — born 1864, married John Blyth in 1886 at Fitzroy, died 22 February, 1925 at Sandringham, buried in the Presbyterian section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery.
William — born 21 May 1867, died 1944 at Yarraville
Isabella Elizabeth Craig — born 1869 at Geelong, died April 1870, buried in an unknown location at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Barbara Florence — born 1872 at Geelong, married Archibald McIntyre in 1886
On 13 August 1862 the following men were elected to a committee under the Common Schools Act: W Landale, C Rowand, T Palmer, G Williams, A Armstrong, J Rennick, L Swain, J Ellis and J Smart.
In 1864 William was named as a trustee of the land reserved as a site for a cemetery at Mount Duneed.
In 1866 he was appointed deputy registrar of births and deaths for the district of Mount Duneed.
He was elected a councillor of the Shire of Barrabool, serving from 1867 until 1869.
He ran the first post office at Mount Duneed, together with a store and butchery. In 1871 the post office land and business was sold to Charles Lamond.
A trust was formed at a public meeting at the state school to manage the Mount Duneed Recreation Reserve in 1909. As soon as this was gazetted £10 was received from the Lands Department for fencing and improvements. This was conditional that the sum of £5 be contributed by locals.
The members of the Committee of Management elected were:
David McLaren Whitelaw
Alfred Gilbert White
The regulations for the reserve were decided on and were printed on cloth.
The recreation reserve in Russells Road originally stretched to Williams Road. The rifle range was situated in the south west area, shooting towards the east. Preliminary meetings were held during 1900 to establish a rifle club. The range was opened on 5 January 1901. A block was fenced off for the Wesleyan church. The remains of the church, which was destroyed in the 1944 fire, are still visible to the east of the entrance gate. The cemetery is situated on this reserve in Williams Road. To the south of the cemetery land was reserved for a Presbyterian church and manse. This church was never built and the land was later sold. The Mount Duneed Pony Club, which was founded in 1985, uses the reserve. Cricket is played on Saturdays on the oval.
The VFL consisted of six teams (Geelong, Richmond, South Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood and Fitzroy) each playing the other three times. Teams had 18 players and no reserves. Collingwood were premiers and the leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood. Richmond took the "wooden spoon". Players were amateurs with players paying their own expenses. Geelong donated profits to war funds.
John Doherty was born in 1825 in Van Diemens Land. In 1853 he married Bridget Mary, daughter of Pat and Cath Mcinnaray (this is the name given on Bridget's death record, although it is McNerney on her marriage record). Bridget was born in Limerick, Ireland. John and Bridget had the following children:
Frederick — born 30 August 1854, died 31 March 1862
Patrick William — born 1855, married Susan Cleverly (1859-1948), died 22 May 1932
James — born 7 May 1857, died 10 March 1861
Robert — born 1858, died 10 April 1862
John — born 1860, married Ellen O’Callaghan, died 20 June 1897
John died in August 1861 at the age of 36 and was buried on 6 August. Geelong Cemetery Trust record the burial as the first in the Mount Duneed Cemetery although the cemetery was not gazetted until 1864.
In 1864 Bridget married Swiss vigneron Louis Roulier at her brother’s home. Bridget’s name is recorded as Docherty, probably a misspelling of Doherty. Three children are recorded as being buried in the grave with John Doherty — 1 year old Louis Roulier on 1 September 1866, 1 year old Charles Roulier on 9 December 1867 and a Roulier child of unknown age.
Louis bought land in Whites Road, between Williams and Ghazeepore Roads about 1874. A family member has said that Louis worked for Andrew White of Hillside who lived in adjoining land. It is known that grapes were once grown at Hillside, so his skills may have been useful for vine dressing.
Louis died in 1880 and was buried on 17 December in the Catholic section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. He is the only one recorded on the headstone. Bridget died on 27 May 1890 at the age of 55 and was buried with him.
When Bridget died on 27 May 1890 she owned 3 blocks in allotment B of section 21. These blocks were in Whites Road between Ghazeepore and Williams Roads.
The grave of William and Mabel Ellis next to the grave of their son George
In an exceptionally short will John Ford left his estate to his wife Hester when he died on 7 June 1892. When Hester died she left the farm to her son John and other assets to Ann. The land on the corner of McCanns and Horshoebend Road was described as a grass paddock. The farm in the block bounded by Burvilles, Barwarre, Horshoebend and Boundary Roads was owned by Benjamin Blyth at the time of his death on 24 November 1918, but was later farmed by a fourth generation of the Ford family. It is currently being developed as Ashbury.
John Calvert Bell lived with his family at Calder Park, Mount Duneed from 1891–1901. Chris Barr will tell the story of this remarkable family before, after and during their life at Mount Duneed.
She was buried in the Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery.
Patrick Feehan, son of Margaret Feehan, was a labourer from Mount Duneed when he enlisted for World War 1 service on 1 March 1916 at the age of 36 years. He was wounded in action twice.
He was awarded the Military Medal "for conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty during the attack on Vauvillers, east of Villers-Bretonneux on 9th August 1918. The whole of the Lewis gun team to which this man belonged became casualties, including himself. Although badly wounded he carried his gun forward with the company and when the left flank of the company was in the air and seriously threatened by the enemy, he at once made his way to a position on that flank in the face of heavy enemy machine gun fire where he engaged the enemy inflicting very heavy casualties, thus enabling the comp[any to continue their advance. By his splendid courage and devotion to duty he materially assisted in the attack and successful capture of the village, which was, in no small part, due to the initiative of Private Feehan".
Patrick was a member of the Mount Duneed Mutual Improvement Association, a member of the Committee of Management of the Mount Duneed Recreation Reserve for many years from 1909-1951, a secretary of the Grovedale Athletic Club and the Mount Duneed Rifle Club, often winning trophies. He died on 1 December 1956 aged 75 and was buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery with his sister Mary Ann who died on 2 May 1973 aged 94.
Feehans Road was named after the Feehan family who were associated with Mount Duneed for 97 years.
Joseph Rainford died intestate. When Elizabeth died she left assets she had inherited from her husband to sons, John and James and daughter Margaret. Her land in Whites Road, between Torquay and Williams Roads is shown in the map above.
Gottlieb Gogoll died on 29 August 1876 aged 49 years and is buried in the Grovedale Cemetery. His estate was valued at £370/8/5. Louisa (née Bieske) died aged 52 years on 21 December 1890 and is also buried at the Grovedale Cemetery.
Andrew Thomson Abercrombie, born in Midlothian, Scotland in 1845, was the son of Andrew Thomas and Mary (née Thomson) Abercrombie. He came to Australia with his parents, brother Robert (born 1843) and sister Elizabeth Waddell (born 1849), in 1853 at the age of 8 years. Two more siblings were born in Australia, Ralph in 1855 and Jessie Brown in 1863.
In 1866 he married Mary Anna, daughter of Samuel and Anna (née Heath) Kenshole. Their children were:
Jessie Elizabeth — born 23 June 1867 Chilwell, Geelong, married Creighton Wilson Rankine 24 May 1898 (Queen's birthday) at Christian Chapel, Swanston Street, Melbourne, died 1912 Hawthorn
Mary Anna — born 1869 Mount Duneed, married Thomas Stafford
Agnes — born 29 July 1870 Mount Duneed, married Sidney John Grace 20 January 1892 at her father's house Albert Park, died 1895 Cue WA
Blanch — born 15 June 1872 Mount Duneed, Mount Duneed. On 18 December 1887 Blanch, aged 5 years, died from a fractured skull caused by a kick from a horse on 14th December. This happened after school when her father had unharnessed the horse. She was buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery.
Mary Beatrice Heath — born 1874 Mount Duneed, married Walter Thistlethwaite 16 November 1898 at her father's residence, died 1952 Malvern
Constance Lucretia — born 1876 Mount Duneed, died 9 March 1906 Murchison
Andrew — born 17 Jun 1878 Mount Duneed, died 1970 Camberwell
Maud Thomson — born 1880 Mount Duneed, married Dickson Russell Johnston
Ralph — born 19 Jun 1881 Mount Duneed, died 3 May 1957 Hawthorn. He was appointed Auditor-General as from 1 September 1938. He continued in this role until 1946.
Eva Mabel — born 1883 Tower Hill, died 1969 Balwyn
James McGregor — born 1885 Tower Hill, died 1960 Camberwell, died 1960 Camberwell
He took an active interest in public life and held many honorary positions including treasurer of the Victorian Male Teachers Association and president of the State Schools Teachers' Union.
In March 1910, while head teacher of Victoria Park State School, he retired after 45 years' service. The staff and scholars presented him with a dressing case, travelling rug, silver serviette ring, gold medal and other tokens of appreciation. He had commenced his career in the beginning of 1865 as a trainee in the old Queen Street Church of England Training College. He then served in Geelong at the Saffron Street Wesleyan Day School (a common school), Mount Duneed, Koroit, Melbourne, Saint Kilda, South Melbourne, Bendigo and Victoria Park.
He died at the age of 81 at his home "Woodlands" in Yarra Street, Hawthorn, Victoria on 2 March 1926. Mary Anna died in 1885.
The flood water has gone down and a barbeque table is waiting at the Horseshoe Bend on Thompsons Creek. I wonder how far it has travelled.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History