Thomas Powell purchased 245 acres in Waurn Ponds in 1849 which he named Claremont. This land was east of Ghazeepore Road, south of Waurn Ponds Creek and stretched to what was a road aligned with Hams Road. He had an eight room brick house built on this property, the tenders being called on 2 March 1857.
After selling his brewery in 1858 he retired to Claremont. After returning to the brewery Claremont was advertised to let in 1863. The farm on almost 200 acres of first rate land and the vineyard and orchard on about 11 acres, nearly all bearing fruit, could be let separately. In 1870 Claremont was sold to Daniel Dean. He sold Claremont not long after the marriage of his third daughter, Ellen, on 29 March 1883 to Thomas White of Rosebank, Clifford. It was described as a large brick house of eight rooms, and about 250 acres of ground stretching from the hill to the left-hand side of the Waurn Ponds bridge down to the Colac Road. Of the quantity of land referred to, 135 acres are under cultivation, the remainder being kept for grazing purposes and for the orchard. The property was purchased by Mr Hugh McLeod, late of Benyeo, Mount Gambia, South Australia, but formerly a resident of Geelong. He paid £2,500.
Mr M Comyn auctioned Claremont on 7 February 1893. Two farms were for sale. The block of 254 acres stretching from Waurn Ponds Creek to the railway line had the homestead erected on it. The 231½ acres to the south of the railway line was sold separately.
In June 1894 the Geelong Advertiser reported the sale of Claremont containing 254 acres by Mr AC Palmer to John Gottfried Erdmann Baum of Gippsland at £9 per acre; a total of £2286. Gottfried was born at Mount Duneed in 1856.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History