David Fisher was born on 6 July 1801 at Roslyn, Midlothian, Scotland. He married Charlotte née Ross on 27 January 1826 at Lasswade, Midlothian, Scotland. He moved to Port Phillip district in 1836 after emigrating initially to Van Dieman's Land. He bought a large area of land in the Ceres district, which extended 2 miles westward and one mile south from the corner of Roslyn and Scenic (originally Boundary) Roads. He divided this into farms which were leased to various tenants. He built his homestead, "Roslin" on this land in the vicinity of Sunderland Road. This home farm area was later bought back and subdivided by the Crown in 1907 into small blocks for closer settlement. Most of the wider estate was sold in the 1850s. The Fishers named Ceres. The name may have come from the Scottish village of Ceres. Fisher’s Hill, where the lookout stands, and Fisher’s Road, which has been re-named Mount Pleasant Road have lost the name of this
district pioneer. Roslyn Road remains to remember him by.
He served as a member of the District Council of Grant, as a trustee of the Barrabool (Highton) Cemetery, a member of the Barrabool Road Board for five years and a South Barwon Shire councillor from 1863 until 1965.
He died in 1879 and was buried in the Presbyterian section of the Highton Cemetery on 20 March beside his wife Charlotte who died on 17 August 1875. A son, John Fisher, who was born in Edinburgh died in 1875 at the age of 45. He was married to Jane née Barclay.
This map shows the 1907 subdivision. Barrabool Road is in the north west corner of the map. Lot 48 would now be Drewan Park with City View Drive on the east of the park running southwards. The Roslin homestead is in the curve of Sunderland Drive, just north of where it meets Grosvenor Drive. This area is now parkland. Lot 49 is currently being subdivided as "Wandana".
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History