Horace Frank, son of John and Annie Sarah (née Matthews) Richardson, was born on 8 November 1854 at Geelong. He went to Geelong College from 1866 to about 1870. He took an interest in sport, playing cricket with the Mercantile Club, Rowing with the Barwon Rowing Club and in later life playing bowls and croquet.
On 16 February 1881 he married Edith Harriett Sommers (1860-1937) daughter of William and Annie Sommers. Their children were:
Stanley John — born 1882, died 1961 at Camberwell aged 78
Elsie Dora — born 1884, died 1891 in Geelong aged 7 years
Alan William — born 1886, died 1970 at Preston aged 84 years
Francis Dudley — born 1889, died 1891 at Hawthorn
Norman Willis — born 1892, died 1893 at Geelong aged 1 year
Edith Annie Lynette — born 1893, married Gerald Rankin Lemon, died 1983
Frank Evan — born 1895, died 1963 at Anglesea
After leaving school he worked for his father until 1873 when he commenced working for the Liverpool London and Globe Insurance Co in the Geelong branch. In 1876 he became secretary and treasurer of the Shire of South Barwon. He was a City of Geelong councillor for thirteen years, serving from 1884 until 1897 and from 1908 to 1912. He was mayor from 1894 to 1896. In 1897 he became a South Barwon shire councillor, serving until 1930. He was a president of the shire three times — 1900-01, 1908-09 and 1914-15. He won a seat on the Legislative Council in 1912 and became Minister of Forests from 1924 to 1927.
On March 31 1828 when he addressed the crowd at the Mount Duneed School Jubilee celebrations, he mentioned that he had once been a resident of Mount Duneed.
He died on 28 October 1935 aged 80 years at his home "Kardinia" in Belmont and was buried in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. Edith died on 21 June 1937 aged 76 and was buried with him.
Kardinia (1 Riverview Terrace, Belmont) was originally owned by Dr Alexander Thomson, later owned by, William Sommers, a mayor of Geelong, John Richardson MLA and later Horace Frank Richardson. It was used by the government as a military barracks during World War 2. In 1946 it was sold to the Salvation Army. — J.T. Collins Collection, La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History