John Bogan was born in Wexford in Ireland in 1831. He migrated from Ireland, probably about 1856. At first he was superintendent of the mounted police.
In 1859 he married Mary Murnane. They had the following children:
Richard Patrick Bogan — born in 1860 in Geelong, married Catherine Mary Eadey in 1903, died on 4 August 1936 aged 75 at Connewarre, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Honoria — born about 1863, married John Joseph Stafford in 1903, died on 2 September 1932 aged 69 at her home at Marshall. She was buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Michael — born in 1863 in Geelong, died one month later on 25 April, buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Michael — born in 1864 at Connewarre, died on 25 June aged 5 months, buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
John — born in 1865 at Connewarre, died in 1947 aged 81 at Geelong, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Michael James — born in 1867 at Geelong, married Hannah Margaret, died on 7 September 1917 aged 49
Mary died on 29 April 1868 aged 27 at Connewarre and was buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery.
In April 1862 he was granted the license for the Breakwater Hotel in Marshall. Before and after this short period his father-in-law, Michael Murnane held the license.
John had bought up a good amount of real estate in Connewarre, Marshall and Mount Duneed on which he grew oats and had milk cows, pigs and poultry. With three his sons, the cows were milked by hand. They had a milk run, delivering this milk around Geelong. This land was rich in marl (calcium carbonate) which he dug up and spread over his land and ploughed in to improve it.
When he died he owned the following land:
67 acres of fenced land in the parish of Connewarre being allotment B of section 7, used partly for cultivation and partly for grazing.
83 acres being allotments N and M on which is erected a 5 roomed weatherboard house. This land was used for cultivation and grazing purposes.
40 acres being allotment P section ? This land was fenced and used for grazing purposes only.
Part of section 7 on which was erected a six roomed weatherboard house which was very old and delipidated which was occupied by the deceased up until the date of his death.
8 acres fenced land being part of allotment 6 section 6
The total value of this real estate was £2080. The land was divided between his sons as set out in his will. Daughter, Honoria, was to receive a regular allowance until she married.
John died on 16 September 1895 at Connewarre and was buried with Mary in the Roman Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery.
The family plot is marked with a monument by Charles Wilcox, together with railing costing £70. Six members of the Bogan family were buried there:
John and Mary Bogan
Richard and Catherine Bogan
Honoria and John Joseph Stafford
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History