John James, son of Scottish parents John and Elizabeth Munro (née Gunn) Cameron, was born on 13 April 1878. His father came from Scotland and arrived in Australia in 1853 at the age of 20. His parents married in Geelong on 16 August 1867. They were early settlers in Connewarre. In 1912 John married Helen Sarah Jane Fuller. He took an active part in district activities.
His death occurred suddenly on the morning of 6 August 1946 at the age of 67. He had risen early to do his usual farm work. He returned to the house for refreshments about 10 o'clock leaving after a short time to continue his work. He died soon after.
John and Helen had four sons and four daughters — Jack, Keith, Donald, Alexander, Betty (married Clifford Stacey), Daphne, Mary and Susie (married John Zula).
His property "Green Hills" in Barwon Heads Road was auctioned on 11 September 1947 and sold to Arthur Ernest Graham. It was described as 270 acres and 17 perches, extensively subdivided and watered by a well with a windmill, elevated tank and concrete troughing. A comfortable weatherboard house of 6 rooms, scullery and bathroom, washhouse, garage, dairy, cowshed and feed room, with separator and wash-up room, and a machinery shed attached. It had a 3 stall stable and loose box, chaff house, engine-room, waggonette shed and storeroom, fowl accommodation and yard.
The country comprises good agricultural grazing and fattening land, and runs from a dark loam to heavier grey and black soil, with some of the land suitable for onion growing.
He was buried on 8 Aug 1946 in the Presbyterian section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery beside Helen who died on 5 March 1950 at the age of 63.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History