John Lorne Stuart, son of John and Agnes (née Ross) Mackenzie, was born on 1 June 1828 at Campbeltown, Argyllshire, Scotland. He married Margaret Sala Brown on 16 November 1853 in Glasgow before emigrating to Australia. Their children, all born after arrival at Freshwater Creek were:
Agnes — born on 5 August 1855, died three days later, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Robert Ross — born on 23 August 1856. married Emma Lavinia Parker on 7 March 1885, died on 6 February 1915 in England
Margaret Helen — born in 1858, married William Parker on 7 March 1882 at St George's Church in Hotham (now North Melbourne), died on 12 June 1923 aged 65 years at Geelong, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Neil MacMichael — born in 1860, died on 2 December 1882 aged 22 years at Freshwater Creek, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Elizabeth Johnston — born in 1865, married Albert Ernest Camp on 12 March 1889 at Freshwater Creek Church, married John Coleman in 1913, died in 1920 aged 54 years at Surrey Hills
Mary Brown — born on 22 October 1867, married Thomas William Freeman on 30 August 1887, died on 3 July 1945, buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
John acquired about 615 acres of Crown land in 1855 which he named Ghazeepore, an Indian name meaning land of the roses. After the death of his brother, Robert, (born on 14 December 1822), on 15 May 1853 John had spent time at Ghazipur (previously spelled Ghazipore) in India to settle his brother's business affairs.
John was a member of the Barrabool Road Board, and served as a Barrabool Shire councillor from 1865 until 1867 and again from 1869 to 1874.
John died on 21 April 1906 aged 89 years at his home in Belmont. He was buried with margaret who died on 21 November 1878 aged 47 in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery.
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History