John, son of Samuel and Sarah Richards, was christened at All Saints Church in West Bromwich, Stafford in England on 9 March 1823. He married Louisa née Drayton in 1851 at Oyer in London. Louisa was born in Somerset in 1827. They migrated to Australia aboard the Lady MacNaughton, sailing from London via Plymount on 26 June 1851 and arriving in Adelaide on 23 September and on to Melbourne, berthing on 22 October. Later the same year they arrived in Geelong.
John and Louisa's children were:
Samuel James — baptised in Geelong on 2 March 1852, died in Geelong in 1856 aged 4 years
Joseph — born in 1854 at Geelong, died in August 1882 aged 28, buried on 14 August 1882 in the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
John — born in 1856 at Geelong, married Elizabeth Snider, died on 24 July 1916 aged 59 years, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Mary Ann — born in 1858 at Connewarre, died in 1881 aged 23 at Carlton
William — born on 25 July 1859 at Connewarre, married Isabella White on 24 July 1882 at the Wesleyan Parsonage in Emerald Hill, died on 17 July 1910 aged 51 at Kew, buried in the Methodist section of the Kew Cemetery
Samuel James — died in 1856 aged 4 ?
Elizabeth (Betsy) — born in 1862 at Connewarre, married George Henry Burge on 1 January 1885, married Samuel Lewis in 1890, died on 25 April 1944 aged 82, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Susan — born on 8 July 1866, died on 20 July 1866, buried on private property in Connewarre
George Henry — born in September 1866 at Connewarre, died on 15 November 1868 aged 14 months at Geelong
John farmed land at Connewarre from the late 1850s until his death. He died on 2 August 1882 and was buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. He died intestate and was survived by his widow, Louisa, and four children — Joseph, John, William and Elizabeth.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History