Sarah Fivash, who was buried in the centre grave in a triple plot in the back row of the Methodist section, died 11 July 1865 aged 61 years. She was many years older than her husband, John. She came from Shirehampton, England, a town at the north-western edge of the city of Bristol, which was the lowest safe river crossing on the river Avon before it enters the Severn. The ferry service was replaced by a bridge in 1974. Sarah's husband John was buried with her when he died on 14 February 1906 at the age of 85 years. They had no children.
After Sarah died in 1865, her husband John asked his sister Charlotte to come to Australia to be his housekeeper. Soon after arriving she married John Southwood Melhuish and lived at Mount Duneed for many years.
John Southwood, second son of John Southwood and Elizabeth Fry (née Mitchell) Melhuish, arrived in the colony in February 1854 on the Agincourt with his parents and siblings. He married Charlotte in 1874. Charlotte was the daughter of William and Elizabeth (née Harvey). They had no children.
In February 1907, John sold 152 acres on the Duneed Creek (Ghazeepore) Road and also 76 acres on the corner of Ghazeepore and Russells Roads (known as Radford's) to McIntyre brothers. In April the same year he sold 504 acres at £8/12/6 per acre. When John retired from farming he shifted with Charlotte to South Geelong. When Charlotte died on 1 December 1921 at the age of 77 years at her residence, Balmoral, 351 Moorabool Street, South Geelong, she was buried at one side of her brother, John Fivash. John Melhuish died on 1 April 1928 and was buried with Charlotte.
During the few years after Charlotte's death John married his housekeeper Betsy Bone (née Kenyon). Betsy's daughter, Linda May Bone married her cousin Cyril Kenyon and died on 6 Jan 1925 aged 31. She is buried with her baby on the left side of the plot.
Betsy remarried Walter Ward who died on 14 October 1942 while still living in the same house in South Geelong. Betsy Ward died on 1 January 1951 aged 84 and was buried with her daughter, Linda. Linda's husband Cyril Kenyon died 12 July 1958 aged 63 and is buried with his first wife and mother-in-law/aunt.
A sale was held on 15 December, 1928 to sell the following properties to wind up the estate:
2 Foster Street — 7 roomed weatherboard house
240 Yarra Street — 6 roomed weatherboard house on brick foundations
11 Verner Street — 5 roomed weatherboard house
John left an estate of £1,923.
This triple plot in the back row of the Mount Duneed Cemetery contains the following:
Left: Linda May Kenyon (née Bone) and babe, Cyril Gordon Kenyon, Betsy Ward (Melhuish, Bone, née Kenyon)
Centre: Sarah Fivash, John Fivash
Right: Charlotte Melhuish (née Fivash), John Southwood Melhuish
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History