Nicholas, son of John and Johanna (née Darcy) Ervin, was born in 1837 at Kilmoylar, Tipperary in Ireland. He married Ann Daffy (née Pardy) on 27 February 1862 at Duneed (#591). They had the following children:
John James — born about 1863, died 2 February 1895 aged 32, buried at Mount Moriac Cemetery
Nicholas — died 24 June 1895 at the Geelong Hospital of Phthisis aged 30, buried at Mount Moriac Cemetery
Thomas Joseph — born in 1868, married Elizabeth Margaret (Bessie) Buckley in 1904, two sons Nicholas and Clarence, died on 20 November 1947 at Mount Moriac, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery with Elizabeth who died in 1972 at Newtown (Geelong) aged 90
Mary Ann — born on 12 January 1866 at Pyramid Hill, married John Francis Considine in 1890, died on 24 November 1891 aged 26, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery. GTC records show her as Mary Consedine and Mary Ervin
Daniel Edward — born in 1867, married Catherine Eliza Downes in 1895, died on 1 October 1918 at Mount Moriac aged 50, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery. The cortege comprised the hearse, two landau carriages, 98 conveyances, 8 motor cars and 28 horsemen. The procession was a mile long.
Margaret Ellen — born in 1871, died in 1891 at Mount Moriac, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery
Nicholas died on 29 March 1883 aged 46 and was buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery.
Thomas Ervin was a Barrabool Shire councillor from 1914 for 25 years. Thomas and his brother Daniel bought the Mount Moriac Hotel and hall diagonally opposite.
Nicholas' sons, Daniel and Thomas, became proprietors of the Mount Moriac Hotel. They carried on farming at first. They also acquired the land diagonally across the junction of Colac and Hendy Main Roads, on which they built a hall, after enlarging and renovating the hotel. This hall was used for public purposes until it burned down in 1962, but remained part of the hotel property for many years. After many accidents caused by runaway vehicles it was decided to build a new hall at the Recreation Reserve.
After Daniel's death in 1918, his wife and son, Winter, who died 1964, conducted the hotel for a long period.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History