The Rupert Vance Moon Memorial Garden was unveiled at Mount Duneed Cemetery, in Williams Road, on 12 May 2008 by members of 5th/6th Battalion, Royal Victoria Regiment.
Rupert (Mick) Moon won a Victoria Cross in the closing stages of the battle at Bullecourt. His parents, Arthur Moon and Helen née Dunning married at St Olave's Church, Exeter, Devon on 5 February 1884 and migrated to Australia soon after. He was born at Bacchus Marsh on 14 February, 1892.
He spent his early years at Maffra in Gippsland. He attended Kyneton Grammar School. He served in both world wars. He married Susan Vincent on 18 December 1931 at St George's Presbyterian Church and had a son and a daughter. He lived for many years at Calder Park, Mount Duneed and was living at Barwon Heads at the time of his death. He died at Bellarine Private Hospital, Whittington on 28 February 1986. He was given a funeral with full military honours on 4 March at All Saint's Church of England, Barwon Heads. He is buried in the Anglican section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. He was the second last Australian VC survivor from World War 1.
His siblings were:
John Dunning Moon — born in Richmond, Victoria 1885 died 1899
Dorothy Neil Moon — born in St Kilda 1888 , Victoria, died 1962 in Melbourne
Constance Josephine Moon — born in South Yarra 1890, Victoria 1890
Arthur Stapley Moon — born in Bacchus Marsh, Victoria 1894, died 1960 in Melbourne
The Mount Duneed Progress Association holds its meetings at the Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed. The land for this hall was given to us in about 1948 by a local resident and held by trustees. A hall was erected by Eric J Lyons (later EJ Lyons & Sons) as a meeting place and for the use of the residents in the Barrabool Shire. The land and building was handed over to the shire in about 1975 with the thought of building tennis courts and swimming pool in the future.
The first known meeting of the present progress association was on 17 February 1998. It had been in recess for a number of years and the hall needed a lot of renovation. Power needed to be connected, bees removed, cleaning and painting carried out and pest strips laid. The grounds were gradually developed by the association over time. A barbeque area and shelter was established and a playground built by volunteers. Daffodils, jonquils, trees and shrubs were planted.
In 1995 when amalgamation and restructure of the councils took place the City of Greater Geelong became the new owners of the hall. The council was keen to sell the hall in 1997. A number of residents challenged this decision and after a hearing it was decided to keep the hall.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History