William Radford sailed to Australia with his family on the Sir George Seymour arriving in May 1949. Shipping records show that he was 40 and his wife Mary Matilda was 39. Their children were:
Ellen, aged 13
Matilda, aged 12
Robert, aged 10
William, aged 9 (married Emily Violett)
Mary Ann, aged 7 (married John Burvill)
George, aged 1
They settled in Mount Duneed in Russells Road to the west of the recreation reserve. After William's death the land was kept in the family until Mary died in 1888. William Radford, maybe his son, paid rates on 102½ acres with a stone house. It is unclear where the extra land was.
William died on 20 February, 1866. He was buried in the Wesleyan section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Mary died in April 1888 and is buried with him.
The VFL consisted of six teams (Geelong, Richmond, South Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood and Fitzroy) each playing the other three times. Teams had 18 players and no reserves. Collingwood were premiers and the leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood. Richmond took the "wooden spoon". Players were amateurs with players paying their own expenses. Geelong donated profits to war funds.
William Walker was born in 1846 in Grantham, England. In 1849 he migrated with his parents, maternal grandparents and sister. On 2 September 1874 he married Jane (née Clydesdale) Kishere. William and Jane had six children:
Minnie May — born 1875
Elizabeth Jane — born 1878
Eleanor — born 1880
Lily Lillian — born 1882
Walter William — born 1884
Lydia — born 1886
Walker owned "Bay View" stables in Corio Terrace next to the Geelong Coffee Palace. He had stabling for 80 horses. Wedding carriages, four in hand wagons, single and double buggies and dog carts could be hired with a competent steady driver. He also had a bus line to North Geelong.
In 1895, he built substantial bluestone stables at 327 Shannon Avenue Newtown providing accommodation for eleven horses. He was reputed to have used stone from Foster Fyans old house "Balyang" near Princes Bridge. He acquired a bus from Cardiff which he called the Sunbeam. On the first day that the Sunbeam was in service it was drawn by four grey horses. St Augustine's Orphanage Band was taken to town and back, playing music as it went. He continued to run his bus service until November 1901.
William and Jane lived at Calder Park, Mount Duneed from 1902 to 1908. Jane died on 1 Jun 1919 aged 75 years and was buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. William who died in September 1922 aged 76 was buried with her.
When Ewing Blyth was 21 in 1853, he left Norwich England to come to Australia on the Earl of Charlemont. His name on the passenger list was Ewing Bligh. He had been accused of shooting the squire's bullock and was in fear of being deported as a convict. He had allowed his name to be incorrectly used so his whereabouts could not be easily traced. After the ship was wrecked, he repeated this event by shooting a bullock to feed the survivors off the ship. This beast belonged to James Tait who had settled at Tait's Point on Lake Connewarre and who later became his father-in-law.
Ewing Blyth gained work in the district and two years later married Agnes, the 16 year old daughter of James Tait. They spent all their lives living in Lake Road on the banks of the Barwon River. Their family of five boys and 5 girls were:
James Tait Blyth — born 1860 in Connewarre, died 1942 in Preston
Frances Blyth — born 1862, married William Spencer 1888, died 1940 Geelong
Ellen Blyth — born 29 October 1864 in Connewarre, married John Elijah Kempton 1888, died 19 May 1953 Geelong
Benjamin Blyth — born 1 April 1867, married Ann Ford 1895, died 24 November 1918
Ewing John Blyth — born 1869, married Emma Isabella Taylor 1905, died 26 October 1951
Robert Ewing Blyth — born 1872, married Elisabeth Ann Martin Cameron 1896, died 1949
Mary Ann Blyth — born 1874, married John Ford 1897, died 1945
Bessie Blyth — born 1877 at Mount Duneed, died 1898
Agnes Blyth — born 1879 at Mount Duneed, married Charles Marriott Burt, died 24 November 1952
Annie Blyth — born 1882 at Mount Duneed, died 22 May 1914 at Geelong
Alexander Tait Blyth — born 1884 in Mount Duneed, married Esther Hannah Challis in 1910, died 1970 in Connewarre
He was a South Barwon Shire councillor serving from 1874 until 1875.
Agnes died on 25 February 1920 and is buried in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Ewing died on 1 June 1925 and is buried with her. Their daughter Annie who died on 22 May 1914 is buried with them. Ewing Blyth Drive, a road which runs south from the Barwon Heads Hotel, is named after him. Many of their descendants still live in the district.
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History