Our next meeting is at 7:30 on 14 February, 2019 at Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed.
Ted Stephens, writer of many books about Geelong history will tell the story of Francis Ormond. Ormond's later life is well documented, when he became a benefactor to many churches and educational institutions, but his story begins when his parents migrated to Australia in 1842.
Pictured at right is his statue which was erected outside the Working Men's College in Melbourne which later became RMIT.
Remembrance Day — Waurn Ponds
Sunday 11 November 2018
10:40 am — Waurn Ponds Memorial Reserve
Corner of Cochranes Road and Waurn Ponds Drive
Everyone is welcome to attend the service
2018 marks 100 years of the ending of the First World War. A memorial service will be held at the Waurn Ponds Memorial Reserve to commemorate this significant event. Wreaths will be laid followed by a minute silence to remember all those who served our nation.
Follow Waurn Ponds Memorial Reserve on Facebook
1914-1918 Lest We Forget 1914-1918
In 1872 Peter and Margaret's eldest son, Michael, sold his house and 100 acres of land and travelled with his family of ten north to Pyramil Hill (where land was available for selection) "in a bullock-drawn wagon, which took 14 days, bringing with them a chaise cart, 40 cattle, pigs etc". from 'The Major's Vision — A History of Pyramid Hill' by J A Kent 1974
Between 1873 and 1875 Peter and Margaret's other 3 sons (Thomas, John and James) and 2 daughters (Maria and Margaret, both married to Herrick boys) also moved north to Pyramid Hill. The Buckley matriarch, Margaret (aged 61) most likely travelled north to Pyramid Hill with them at that time (if not earlier with son Michael and family).
"Michael Buckley and his brothers built their first kitchen and bedroom with quarry stone from the (Pyramid) Hill and plastered them together with wet soil made into mud, the floors having been made of very hard mud. In the kitchen they made a chimney with the sandstone — made brick hobs on each side of the inner fireplace and placed an iron bar across where Elizabeth hung her cooking pots".
from "The Major's Vision — A History of Pyramid Hill" by J A Kent 1974 — Appendix II "The Pioneer', is the life story of Michael Buckley's wife, Elizabeth, recalled by her when elderly, and includes descriptions of her time at Modewarre and Pyramid Hill.
In 1873 Peter and Margaret's son John married Isabella Elizabeth Todd (#2907) whose family was also from the Modewarre area.
Margaret died on 26 August 1889 at the age of 77 at Pyramid Hill and was buried in the Buckley family grave at Pyramid Hill Cemetery.
George and Annis Bills, who had no children and loved animals, ran a successful spring manufacturing business. They met and married in Brisbane. Annis died in 1910 on a trip to England. George died in 1927, and left an estate of over £70,000. A trust was set up to place horse troughs where needed "for the relief of horses and other dumb animals". The first troughs were individually designed but by the 1930s they were made of precast concrete with a curved pediment which carried the inscription "Donated by Annis and George Bills Australia". The cost of the troughs was £13, plus transport and installation.
Not many of the troughs have survived considering about 700 were installed. Some in or near Geelong are:
Geelong — near the corner of Fitzroy and Ryrie Streets — this trough is missing its pediment
Breakwater — Geelong Showgrounds — this trough is filled with plants
Lara — near the RSL
Winchelsea — near the Barwon Hotel
Thursday 11 October, 2018 at 7:30 pm at the Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed. John Stewart, a descendent of Alexander Webb will give a talk about this talented pioneer artist whose work is included in the Geelong Gallery collection. The park in front of the Belmont library has
been named after him.
This map shows the 1907 subdivision. Barrabool Road is in the north west corner of the map. Lot 48 would now be Drewan Park with City View Drive on the east of the park running southwards. The Roslin homestead is in the curve of Sunderland Drive, just north of where it meets Grosvenor Drive. This area is now parkland. Lot 49 is currently being subdivided as "Wandana".
You might ask what are these occupations.
A fellmonger is a dealer in fells or sheepskins, who separates the wool from the pelts. He is the person who prepares the skin prior to leather making. The wool was then scoured. A wool scouring factory might have bought fleeces and then scoured the wool.
A tanner is the person who processes the skins to produce leather.
A currier applies the dressing, and colouring to the tanned hide to make it strong, flexible and waterproof.
Boiling down is the process of rendering fat from animal carcasses to produce tallow. Tallow was used for making soap and candles. It brought the price of old animals up considerably and was a boost to the farmer when animal prices were low.
Glue is produced by the boiling of animal connective tissue.
Bone mills produce fertiliser and glue by processing animal bones.
These industries were an important part of Geelong's economy. Hundreds of men were employed at these factories. At first the river was used to wash the skins. Later they were washed in vats. The area probably smelled like the abattoirs and sale yards at Newmarket in Melbourne which I remember well from my childhood. Maybe it was worse.
A number of streets have names that reflect the activities carried on in the area:
Tanner Street, Leather Street, Currier Street and Fellmongers Road in Breakwater
Woolscour Lane and Tannery Road in Marshall
Some of the owners of factories on the south and west side of the Barwon were (from North):
Charles John Dennys, sold to Samuel Bradley Corrigan
Patrick McDonald and Lawrence Webster, later leased by George Kingsbury and George Connor, later became Corrigans
Charles Frederick Palmer
Joseph and Sharp Brearley
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History