3rd July — Mrs FH Stacey of Mount Duneed was notified that her son, Frank, had been wounded for the second time.
11 July — Corporal Edward Victor Middleton, wounded
26 August — FL Gill of Mount Duneed, wounded
27 August — CH Gogoll of Mount Duneed, wounded (gas) 28 November killed in action
15 April — Private Jason Doyle of Grovedale returned to Geelong on the afternoon train after three years' absence. His wound was inflicted by gunshot at Ypres; his leg and arm were affected.
29 April — Bombardier John Francis Doyle, second son of JW and LC Doyle, of Grovedale aged 28 years, died of wounds received in France after 3 years and 8 months' active service.
E McGee and A Gallagher of Grovedale have enlisted
Mrs E Scott of Connewarre has received the news from the Defence department that her son, Lce-Cpl WJ Scott was killed in action in France on 9 August. Some little time ago she received a congratulatory letter from Sir WR Birdwood, DSO as follows: "The Army Corps Commander wishes to express his appreciation of the gallant services rendered by the undermentioned soldier, No 4916
Private WJ Scott"
Mrs T Ellis of Mount Duneed has received a cable from the Defence Department that her son, Pte Allan Ellis, has been gassed, and is classed as "wounded, second occasion".
December — Pte HJ Richmond of Grovedale wounded
9 August at Blackwarry, death of Elizabeth, wife of the late John Parkes Hope, formerly of Mount Duneed.
24 November 1918, at his residence, Mount Duneed, Benjamin Blyth, husband of the late Ann Blyth, aged 52 years
Red Cross — New Registrations
Numbers 137 and 137, Mount Duneed Red Cross Sub-centre; Mrs AG White, president, straight-out giving and various efforts to be arranged.
Number 139 Freshwater Creek district Patriotic Committee; Cr W McIntyre, chairman; Mr A Milner, secretary; straight out giving
Susannah Syrett, widow of John Syrett died on 19 October at her residence at Grovedale aged 78 years. She was buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery on 21 October.
William Thomas, husband of Harriett Elizabeth Berryman died on 10 October at Geelong aged 42 years. She was buried at Grovedale Cemetery on 11 October.
Leslie Smith aged 18 of Grovedale suffered a nasty accident on 27 February while stacking hay. The fork slipped and struck his forehead. As a result he had 14 stitches inserted in a gash over his left eye.
Studio portrait of Leslie George Ellis 4002 of Mount Duneed. He enlisted on 16 July 1915 and embarked from Melbourne aboard HMAT Warilda on 8 February 1916. He later served as a sergeant and was killed in action of 18 August 1918 and is buried at Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres, France. He was the son of Robert and Elizabeth Ellis.
On Saturday 14 December 1918 the Geelong Advertiser published a list completed for the Railway Commissioners and the Historical Society of Victoria. Backblock towns are not on this list.
Bacchus Marsh — named after Captain WH Bacchus, who settled in the Melbourne end of the valley early in 1838
Ballan — received its title from a pastoral station close by owned by Robert von Steiglitz, and named after an estate in Ireland
Bannockburn — copied from Stirlingshire, Scotland where Robert Bruce defeated Edward II
Banool — is an abbreviation of "Moorbanool." Bannool means "hill."
Barwon — is a native word, meaning "magpie," and was applied to the river by JH Wedge in 1835 and written "Barwourne" meaning "Great wide."
Beeac — native "Saltwater," a chief of the local tribe of aborigines
Beech Forest — after a forest in the locality containing numbers of so-called beech trees (really myrtle).
Berringa — native name for the rainbow bird, "Bee eater."
Berrybank — after Mack's "Berrybank" station, near Cressy. Acquired in the early fifties by the late JG Mack, and named by him after the home of his family in Berwickshire, Scotland. The railway station is in or about the centre of the original estate.
Birregurra — is the native name for the springs on the Birregurra Creek, near Bleak House station; "Burrai Gurray," a kangaroo camp.
Buckley — from Buckley's Falls, after William Buckley, the "wild white man."
Colac — native "Kolak," sand. There is a high bank of sand along the Colac Lake.
Corio — takes its name from Corio Bay. In the native language Corio means a small marsupial.
Cressy — is out of compliment to Jean Duverney and his wife "Rosine," after Cressy in France. The place was once known as the "Frenchman's"; the inn opened by the Duverneys is still so called.
Crowes — after Mr Con Crowe, a local land owner.
Curlewis — is after an early squatter, who settled in the locality in 1838.
Dean's Marsh — after the owner of the pastoral station. The railway authorities altered the name from Dean's Marsh to its present form.
Derrinallum — native "Dherinallum,"white sea bird, tern, or sea swallow. Flocks of these birds frequent the salt marshes in the neighbourhood. "Tirrinchillum,"or "Tarrinallum," a hill of fire.
Drysdale — after Miss Drysdale who with her partner Miss Newcomb, settled in that locality in 1840.
Duverney — followed an early French settler named Jean Duverney, who came to Australia with Messrs McArthur and Nicolas Cole about 1837.
Elaine — by a reader of Tennyson, after "Elaine the fair, Elaine the loveable, Elaine the lily maid of Astolat."
Forrest — after Charles Lamond Forrest MLA for Polwarth for many years.
Geelong — was given its title by Governor Bourke in 1837 from the native name of the hill upon which the town was built. "Geelong" means the place of the cliff. Sutherland gives the meaning as "White sea bird of curlew" and Mitchell as "swampy plains, resort of native companions."
Gerangamete — is after a run or pastoral station in the locality.
Gellibrand — from the Gellibrand River, so called after Joseph Tice Gellibrand, a member of Batman's Association engaged in the settlement of Port Phillip in 1835. He was lost in the bush with a companion named Hesse and probably killed by blacks.
Gheringhap — native, the yellow blossom of the black wattle, a species of white gum, the haunt or habitat of the opossum.
Grovedale — the name given to his house by one of the early English residents, and selected by the Shire Council as the name of the station when it was deemed advisable to change it from Germantown soon after the outbreak of the war.
Inverleigh — signifies "mouth of the River Leigh" and describes its situation.
Irrewarra — native "Nawailah," the name of Calvert's home station nearby. The railway station was formerly called "Ondit Road."
Lara — was originally known as "Duck Ponds." It was here that Hume and Hovell terminated their journey in 1824, and rested a few days before returning. The stream appeared on an early map as "Hovell's" Creek, but some of the early settlers called it "Duck Ponds." in the middle seventies the name was changed to "Hovell's Creek," but public protest caused it to be re-christened Lara, which in the language of the natives, means "hut on stony ground." The word is akin to "Lah," which means stone.
Lavers Hill — after Mr Laver, the first settler in the neighbourhood from Gippsland.
Leopold — in honor of Prince Leopold, a son of Queen Victoria.
Lethbridge — first known as the "Muddy Waterholes." It was a camping place for travellers on their way to the goldfields. On the completion of the Ballarat railway line the place was called Lethbridge, after one of the leading officials engaged in the construction.
Little River — The name was applied to, rather than bestowed upon, the stream by way of contrasting it with the larger rivers, such as the Werribee, seen by the pioneers in 1835-6. No other name has been applied to the stream, and the station was appropriately named after it though the name Bulban was given to the township a few years ago.
Lismore — was known in the early days as Brown's Waterholes. Situated on the Gala estate originally owned by John Brown, from Galashiels, Scotland. In the fifties it was named Lismore probably by Mr Skene, Surveyor-General after Lismore, in county Waterford, Ireland.
Marcus — after Marcus Hill, a remarkable local feature.
Maroona — took its name from an old pastoral station or run in that locality.
Marshall — was known as the Breakwater until the men engaged in the tanning industry in that locality established a settlement, which was called Marshall's Town, after Mr Foster Marshall, a prominent resident. The Railway authorities abbreviated the name to Marshall.
Mannerim — after the Mannerim estate, Drysdale.
Meredith — is named after Mr Charles Meredith, of Tasmania.
Moolap — native means a gathering place of the blacks when about to procure saltwater shell fish. Moolap was one of the early landing places of the pioneers.
Moorabool — the curlew, according to Geelong natives. A corruption of Marrarbool. "Moorroobull" ghost.
Moriac — formerly Mt Moriac, native, "Morack Hill."
Murroon — is a native name, "The forehead."
North Shore — is descriptive of the position of the station in relation to Corio Bay.
Ondit — after Lake Ondit, which is near the station.
Pennyroyal — is after Pennyroyal Creek near by, where the plant known by that name grew plentifully.
Pettavel — formerly Pettavel Road, is named after a Swiss vigneron, who came from Neuchâtel about the middle forties, and settled in the Barrabool Hills.
Pura Pura — is the aboriginal name for the "blow hole," as it is now known. This unique and curious volcanic freak, which is situated on the south-east slope of Mount Hamilton consists of a square opening in the rocky ground, about 15 feet deep, with absolutely unscaleable walls, and with a solid natural bridge spanning it from side to side (about 12 feet across). The cavity is always about half full of clear spring water of the best quality, which was, no doubt, the principal attraction to the blacks for camping operations.
Queenscliff — is named in honor of Queen Victoria. Was formerly called Shortland's Bluff, after Mr Shortland, of HMS Rattlesnake, who with other officers of the ship, was engaged in the survey of Port Phillip Bay.
Rokewood — is said to have been named by English miners after the Rokewood family of Coldham Hall, Suffolk, England.
Weeaproinah — is taken from the language of a tribe of Tasmanian aborigines, and means "large timber."
Weerite — ("Weright"), a marsh.
Werneth — after the Werneth estate, a grazing property in the neighbourhood.
Werribee — Native, backbone, spine. The name was first applied to the river. In 1824, Hume and Hovell called it the Arndell, after Dr Arndell, of Sydney. It was variously described by Wedge, the surveyor as the Peel and the Weiribee.
Westmere — after the name of a local estate.
Winchelsea — named in honor of the Earl of Winchelsea.
Wingeel — Native, eagle.
Wyelangta — taken from the language of Tasmanian aborigines of Oyster Bay and Pittswater. It means large timber.
The VFL consisted of six teams (Geelong, Richmond, South Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood and Fitzroy) each playing the other three times. Teams had 18 players and no reserves. Collingwood were premiers and the leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood. Richmond took the "wooden spoon". Players were amateurs with players paying their own expenses. Geelong donated profits to war funds.
100 years ago — a few items from newspapers and cemetery records:
King George V was monarch, Billy Hughes was prime minister, Gough Whitlam, 21st prime minister of Australia was born and three year old Sasanof won the Melbourne Cup.
The first plebiscite on the issue of military conscription was held; it was defeated. 25 April was officially named and widely observed as Anzac Day.
The Victorian Football League was feeling the strain of World War 1. Attendances were affected, only four clubs competed (Carlton, Collingwood, Fitzroy and Richmond) and teams were missing players. Geelong among many other teams, refused to play on "patriotic grounds". Fitzroy won the wooden spoon and the premiership in the same year, finishing fourth out of four and also winning the grand final.
Melbourne receives its highest annual rainfall.
The old Connewarre Presbyterian Church, at 1411 Barwon Heads Road, Connewarre is now used by the Geelong Aero Club. It has skillion roofed extentions at the front and back and a doorway near the rear of the body of the church which has been closed off. Originally the door probably looked like the one at St Cuthbert's Church of England at Marshall which was built 5 years earlier and in a similar style.
Connewarre Presbyterian Church was erected in 1916 on a block given by Mr D Polley on the corner of Staceys (then Lake) and Barwon Heads Roads, as it was decided that the old building was beyond repair. The architects, Laird & Buchan called for tenders in May and the successful applicant was Mr H Rose. The church was weatherboard on the outside with Californian redwood and beaverwood on the interior built in the Federation Carpenter Gothic style. It had a gable roof with skillion-roofed extentions each end and leadlight windows in the gothic style. The pulpit for the church had come from St Andrew's in Geelong. It would seat 100 people.
The church was crowded for two services held on 8 October to commemorate the opening of the church. At the morning service Mr RC Blyth, chairman of the Board of Management, gave a short address, then handed a silver key to Mr R Fuller sen., the oldest church member, who opened the church. The celebrations continued the following Tuesday with a tea meeting and concert. There was a large attendance and the sum of £22 was obtained. The total expenses of building the church amounted to £350 of which over £200 had been paid off.
In 1977 the church became the Connewarre Uniting Church, and about a year later it closed and was sold to the Geelong Aero Club.
100 years ago — a few items from newspapers and cemetery records:
1915 was not a particularly good year. A monumental drought had caused the crops to fail, the wool clip to be low and the price of chaff to rise. The Great War was continuing longer than expected and the Spanish flu and meningitis epidemics were a constant fear.
Two soldiers who were buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery in 1915 both died of Cerebro Spinal Meningitis before they left Australia. They were Charles Henry Challis and Joseph Paul Lugg.
Born at Mount Duneed in 1878 Private Charles Henry Challis, who enlisted on 13 July 1915, a farmer from Connewarre died in the Bendigo Hospital on 10 September 1915 aged 37. He was the son of Harry and Sarah Ann (nee Porter) Challis.
His brother Private Edwin Challis, a foreman who lived at Connewarre was born at Mount Duneed in 1882. He was wounded in action on 14 June 1918. After re-joining his unit he died from injuries caused by an accident on a farm on 18 December 1918. He was buried at the Maubeuge Communal Cemetery.
A third son Private Sydney Gordon Challis, a farmer, enlisted on 17 April 1916. He was born at Mount Duneed in 1896 and was declared killed in action on 11 April 1917 by Court of Enquiry.
Private Francis Henry Challis a former farmer born on 8 December 1883 at Barwon Heads was a railway employee married to Elsie May and living at Sandringham prior to enlistment. He was declared killed in action on 12 May, 1917 by Court of Enquiry in the vicinity of Bullecourt. He had one son. He was the son of Francis Henry and Jessie Elizabeth Challis.
Private William Jacob Fuller, a farmer from Connewarre, was declared killed in action at Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. He had been missing for nineteen months. He was the 25 year old son of Robert and Susanna (née McLeary) Fuller. He is remembered on his parents gravestone in the Presbyterian section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery.
Percy George Graham, son of John George Graham and Caroline Matilda née Vagg, was killed in action at Gallipoli on 2 May 1915. Before enlistment he was a farmer from Connewarre. He is remembered at the Lone Pine Memorial, Gallipoli Peninsula, Canakkale Province, Turkey and also on his parents headstone in the Methodist section at Mount Duneed Cemetery.
Charles Altmann, son of John Altmann and Louisa Wheelhouse (née Schneider) of Mount Duneed, was killed in action at Gallipoli on 29 November 1915 at the age of 24 years. His brother Alfred Altman enlisted in 1915 in Nagambie but was discharged in the following year as medically unfit after diptheria followed by post diptheritic neuritis affecting his sight and legs.
Rev George Allen Stewart
On 6 September 1915 Rev George Allen Stewart, aged 36 years, died of wounds at Alexandria. He was a Presbyterian Minister and Corporal in the 6th Reinforcements, 14th Infantry Battalion. He was the third son of John and Mary Stewart of Dhuliebeeil, Mount Duneed. He was buried at Chatby Military and War Memorial Cemetery, Alexandria, Egypt. On Sunday morning 10 September a marble tablet was unveiled in the Pyramid Hill Presbyterian Church erected to the memory of the late Corporal George Stewart, who was a previous minister of the church. The brothers of the deceased soldier Mr AM Stewart of Lake Charm and Mr J Stewart of Mount Duneed were present at the ceremony. His name was listed on the Mount Duneed State School Honour Roll.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History