William Henry, elder son of Jesse Holman and Sarah (née Carter) Middleton was born on 10 November 1850 in Adelaide. He farmed land in Connewarre. He inherited his father's farm after the death of his mother. In 1880 he married Louisa Harding, daughter of George Tilley and Ann (née Harding) Vagg, who was born on 15 September, 1857 at Connewarre. Their children, born at Mount Duneed, were:
Christine Frances Louisa born 1881, died 3 September 1885 aged 4 years and 3 months, buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Albert Henry — born 1882, married Flora Amy Green on 12 August 1908, died 23 August 1970, buried at Colac Cemetery
Lillian — born 1884, died 28 May 1884 aged 6 weeks, buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Charlotte Matilda — born 1885, married Arthur Ernest Graham in 1917, died 18 August 1964 at Connewarre
Francis Louisa — born 1885, died 1885 at Geelong Hospital
John James — born 4 August 1887, died 31 October 1969 at Timboon
George Holman — born 1889, married Elizabeth Maud Walters, died 25 December 1976 at Colac, buried in the lawn section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
Edward Victor — born 1891, married Jean Hill in 1922, died 1985 at Colac, buried at Colac Cemetery
Elsie Grace — born 1894, married Ernest Edward Cork, died 25 February 1988 at Connewarre, buried in the lawn section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
Emily Carter — born 1897, married Caleb Ernest Dans in 1920, died 23 October 1976 in Geelong, buried at Highton Cemetery
Gertrude Eliza — born 1900, married Herbert William Francis Stacey in 1927, died 3 September 1963, buried at the Geelong Western Cemetery
Ivy Lavinia — born 1902, died 19 Jun 1986 in Geelong, buried in the lawn section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
William died 3 September 1963 and was buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Louisa, who died on 25 June 1941, aged 84, was buried with him.
James Palmer was born about 1856. He married Eva, daughter of Frederick and Evangaline Withers, and had the following children:
Henry Wallace — born about 1884 at Port Augusta SA, died 1972 at North Geelong
Elsie May — born 1885 at Richmond
Minnie — born 1887, died 1888 at Newtown
Albert Roy — born 1889
Arthur Stanley (Stan) — born 1890 at Geelong, husband of Dorothy Irene (Dot) née Twitt, killed in action in France on 25 January 1917 (one daughter Dorothy (Bonnie) Jean born 1915 at Geelong)
James Reginald (Reg) — born 1893 at Geelong West, died 1977 at Coburg
Horace Leslie — born 1895 at Geelong, died 1978 at Ferntree Gully
Ivy Myrtle (Myrtle) — born 1898 at Geelong
Norman Clifford — born 1901 in Geelong
James died on 1 February 1922 at the age of 66 at his residence at Grovedale and was buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. Eva died in September 1929 at St Kilda at the age of 72 and was buried with him.
Part of the will of the Reverend William Corbett Wilson who died on 25 May 1853. He left treasured items to his son — a four volume bible, a silver tea pot, a snuff box, a gold hunting watch, a four volume Johnson's dictionary and a double barrelled gun lathe and tools.
I came across this article in an 1864 Geelong Advertiser which gives an idea of the difference between then and now. Many lived like this all over the Geelong district. Chilwell, which is now the southern part of Newtown, housed many of Geelong's poor. Chilwell Wesleyan school began in Saffron Street, in a slab hut in 1849 with an attendance of 47 children. By 1865 the number on the books was 368 which is close to the number of pupils enrolled today. It was at the back of the Noble Street Uniting Church and became the Chilwell State School in the 1870s, the Education department renting the Wesleyan building until the new school was built in Pakington Street in 1878.
The next meeting of the Mount Duneed History Group is at 7:30 on Thursday 7 December. This will be the Christmas breakup. Participants are asked to bring something old to talk about or a plate of supper.
A trust was formed at a public meeting at the state school to manage the Mount Duneed Recreation Reserve in 1909. As soon as this was gazetted £10 was received from the Lands Department for fencing and improvements. This was conditional that the sum of £5 be contributed by locals.
The members of the Committee of Management elected were:
David McLaren Whitelaw
Alfred Gilbert White
The regulations for the reserve were decided on and were printed on cloth.
The recreation reserve in Russells Road originally stretched to Williams Road. The rifle range was situated in the south west area, shooting towards the east. Preliminary meetings were held during 1900 to establish a rifle club. The range was opened on 5 January 1901. A block was fenced off for the Wesleyan church. The remains of the church, which was destroyed in the 1944 fire, are still visible to the east of the entrance gate. The cemetery is situated on this reserve in Williams Road. To the south of the cemetery land was reserved for a Presbyterian church and manse. This church was never built and the land was later sold. The Mount Duneed Pony Club, which was founded in 1985, uses the reserve. Cricket is played on Saturdays on the oval.
The VFL consisted of six teams (Geelong, Richmond, South Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood and Fitzroy) each playing the other three times. Teams had 18 players and no reserves. Collingwood were premiers and the leading goalkicker was Dick Lee of Collingwood. Richmond took the "wooden spoon". Players were amateurs with players paying their own expenses. Geelong donated profits to war funds.
William Walker was born in 1846 in Grantham, England. In 1849 he migrated with his parents, maternal grandparents and sister. On 2 September 1874 he married Jane (née Clydesdale) Kishere. William and Jane had six children:
Minnie May — born 1875
Elizabeth Jane — born 1878
Eleanor — born 1880
Lily Lillian — born 1882
Walter William — born 1884
Lydia — born 1886
Walker owned "Bay View" stables in Corio Terrace next to the Geelong Coffee Palace. He had stabling for 80 horses. Wedding carriages, four in hand wagons, single and double buggies and dog carts could be hired with a competent steady driver. He also had a bus line to North Geelong.
In 1895, he built substantial bluestone stables at 327 Shannon Avenue Newtown providing accommodation for eleven horses. He was reputed to have used stone from Foster Fyans old house "Balyang" near Princes Bridge. He acquired a bus from Cardiff which he called the Sunbeam. On the first day that the Sunbeam was in service it was drawn by four grey horses. St Augustine's Orphanage Band was taken to town and back, playing music as it went. He continued to run his bus service until November 1901.
William and Jane lived at Calder Park, Mount Duneed from 1902 to 1908. Jane died on 1 Jun 1919 aged 75 years and was buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. William who died in September 1922 aged 76 was buried with her.
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History