Jesse Holman, son of James and Rose (née Holman) Middleton, was born in 1812 in Norfolk, England. He married Sarah née Carter. They had the following children:
John James — born 1848 in Yorkshire, married Marie Louisa Thomas in 1873, died 1927 at Lismore
William Henry — born 10 November 1850 at Adelaide, died 8 August 1934, married Louisa Harding née Vagg, buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Charles Frederick — born 1855 at Williamstown, died 1855
Eliza Jane — born 1856 at Kororoit Creek, married Christopher Underwood in 1879, died 14 March 1927 at Port Campbell
Frances — born 1857 at Melbourne, died 1940, buried in the Presbyterian section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Ellen — born 20 July 1860, married William Lewis in 1883, died in 1908, buried in the Presbyterian section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery on 30 August 1908.
Before emigrating, Jesse was a surveyor with the British Army working in Ireland. He arrived in Adelaide in 1849 where he worked until at least 1854. He then came to Victoria, settling at Williamstown where he worked until about 1860. He then moved to 47 acres of land purchased originally by Anthony McEveret from the Crown in April 1855 at Taits Point on the edge of Lake Connewarre (on the east side of what is now Staceys Road). This is relatively high land which has picturesque views over the lake towards Baron Heads and Ocean Grove. He farmed this land for many years. He was an auditor for the Connewarre District Road Board in the 1860s.
He died on 15 August 1895 and was buried in the Presbyterian section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Sarah died on 25 April 1906 and was buried with him. Their daughter, Frances, who died on 4 January 1940 was buried with them. His land was left to Sarah to use while she lived and after her death it was to be passed on to William. Frances was to have the house they lived in.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History