Henry Green was born in 1825. He arrived in Australia with his wife Jane (née Cox) on the Cambodia as assisted immigrants in March 1852. Shipping records give Henry's age as 27 and Jane's as 29. Their son John was born in 1855.
The family moved to Connewarre in 1861 purchasing Crown land on the west side of Blackrock Road on the coastline, which he added to later.
The Connewarre Road Board elected him Dog and Thistle Inspector in 1865. He was one of three managers of the Connewarre Farmers' Common in 1869. (The common was proclaimed in 1860-61 mainly in the area of Sparrovale and the old racecourse. It was 4500 acres being all the unappropriated Crown lands in the Parish of Connewarre.) He was appointed to the School Board of Advice in the district of Connewarre in 1880. He was appointed a member of the Board of Advice for the Connewarre riding of the shire of South Barwon in 1886.
Henry died on 15 July, 1902 at the age of 77 and was buried in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery with his wife Jane who died in July 1897 aged 75 and the following:
John Green — died 1925 aged 70 (son)
Flora Green — died 10 December 1893 aged 38 (daughter-in-law)
baby Green — died 1884 (probably son of John and Flora)
Victor Clarence Green — died March 1898 (son of John and his second wife Matilda (née Clery)
In his will Henry left a life interest in his 97 acre Connewarre farm on which was erected a 5 roomed house with outbuildings, to his only son, John, and on his death to his grandson, Henry Gardiner Green. This was on condition that Henry paid the sum of £50 to each of his three sisters, Mable Jane, Flora Amy and Elvina within two years of inheriting the farm.
John Green, son of Henry, was born in 1855. His first wife, Flora Gilchrist née Gardiner was born in 1855 in Ballarat. They married in 1882 and had the following children born at Connewarre:
Mable Jane — born 1883
unnamed baby — born 1884, buried 7 May 1884 at Mount Duneed Cemetery
Henry Gardiner — born 1885, married Edith Maud Clery, died 13 March 1947
Flora Amy — born 3 May 1888, married Albert Henry Middleton on 12 August 1908, died on 19 January 1975 and was buried at Colac Cemetery.
Elvina Abernathy — born 1890, died 1976 at Belmont
John married Matilda Clery on 20 May 1896 at her brother's house. They had the following children:
Victor Clarence — born 1897, buried at Mount Duneed Cemetery on 23 March 1898
Alice — born 14 March 1899, married Sidney Osborne Smith, died 9 February 1982
Ralph — born 28 September 1908, died 12 October 1999 and was buried at Leopold Cemetery with his wife Ila
John died on 1 Jun 1925 and was buried at the Mount Duneed Cemetery with other members of the family.
John Doherty was born in 1825 in Van Diemens Land. In 1853 he married Bridget Mary, daughter of Pat and Cath Mcinnaray (this is the name given on Bridget's death record, although it is McNerney on her marriage record). Bridget was born in Limerick, Ireland. John and Bridget had the following children:
Frederick — born 30 August 1854, died 31 March 1862
Patrick William — born 1855, married Susan Cleverly (1859-1948), died 22 May 1932
James — born 7 May 1857, died 10 March 1861
Robert — born 1858, died 10 April 1862
John — born 1860, married Ellen O’Callaghan, died 20 June 1897
John died in August 1861 at the age of 36 and was buried on 6 August. Geelong Cemetery Trust record the burial as the first in the Mount Duneed Cemetery although the cemetery was not gazetted until 1864.
In 1864 Bridget married Swiss vigneron Louis Roulier at her brother’s home. Bridget’s name is recorded as Docherty, probably a misspelling of Doherty. Three children are recorded as being buried in the grave with John Doherty — 1 year old Louis Roulier on 1 September 1866, 1 year old Charles Roulier on 9 December 1867 and a Roulier child of unknown age.
Louis bought land in Whites Road, between Williams and Ghazeepore Roads about 1874. A family member has said that Louis worked for Andrew White of Hillside who lived in adjoining land. It is known that grapes were once grown at Hillside, so his skills may have been useful for vine dressing.
Louis died in 1880 and was buried on 17 December in the Catholic section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. He is the only one recorded on the headstone. Bridget died on 27 May 1890 at the age of 55 and was buried with him.
When Bridget died on 27 May 1890 she owned 3 blocks in allotment B of section 21. These blocks were in Whites Road between Ghazeepore and Williams Roads.
The grave of William and Mabel Ellis next to the grave of their son George
The Bluestone Cottage at Marshall
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History