Joseph, son of John and Mary (née Masters) Gundry was born early in 1810 at Lopen in Somerset in England. A free settler, he had arrived in Van Diemens Land in 1832 aboard the Thomas Laurie, followed by his brothers, William in 1837 and later Charles.
He married Mary Watson on 25 September 1837 at Ouse in the parish of Hamilton in Tasmania. They had the following children:
John William — born in 1839 at Hamilton in Tasmania, married Hannah Gundry in 1964, died on 16 April 1902 at Bellbrae
Joseph James — born in 1840 at Hamilton, married Sarah Masters in 1867, died on 30 June 1919 aged 79 years at Beeac aged 79
Charles Edward — born in 1844 at Bellbrae, died on 1 January 1925 aged 82 at Mount Duneed, buried at Bellbrae Cemetery
Hannah Phoebe — born in 1849 at Bellbrae, married Frederick Beard in 1872, died on 9 March 1921 at Geelong aged 75
Elizabeth Rebecca — born in 1850 at Bellbrae, married William Henry Maxwell in 1871, died on 12 May 1924
William Richard — born on 1 May 1860 at Bellbrae, married Annie Maria Tomamichel on 17 April 1912, died on 20 June 1941 aged 81 at Geelong, buried at Bellbrae Cemetery
Before she married, Mary had a daughter Mary, born in 1836 at Ouse in Tasmania who took the name of Gundry. She married Waurn Ponds vigneron Charles Louis Tetaz on 9 September in 1863 at St Paul's in Geelong. They had seven children. Mary died on 30 September in 1887.
In 1844 Joseph Gundry, in partnership with John Kiddle, took up the six square miles known as Ironbark Station in Jan Juc (Bellbrae). He took control of this land after Kiddle's death in 1852.
He leased 1236 acres 3 roods and 14 perches of land to Roderick Impey Murchison. It stretched south from Hendy Main Road to the township of Bellbrae between Anglesea and Brushfields Roads and further south in the ironbark basin area.
He established a school for his own and neighbouring children until the Jan Juc Common School was opened in 1861. He was a member of the Barrabool District Road Board which was formed on 23 September 1863. He was one of the original Barrabool Shire councillors serving from 1865 until 1879. His son, William Richard, was also a councillor serving from 1895 until 1909 and from 1918 until 1935.
Joseph died on 11 November 1878 at his residence, Ironbank Station at Jan Juc aged 68. According to cemetery records, he was buried in an unknown location at the Mount Duneed Cemetery on 12 November and on the 13 November at the Bellbrae Cemetery.
The Bluestone Cottage at Marshall
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History