Andrew Thomas Moran was born in Wexford, Ireland about 1826. On 30 December 1858 he married Elizabeth Clarke (née Yates). Their children were:
Annie — born 1859 at Modewarre, married Edmond Joseph Brown in 1889, died 1900 at Essendon aged 41, children Malcolm, Roy and Veronica
Margaret — born 1861 at Modewarre, married Albert William Craven in 1886, died 1935 at Moonee Ponds
William — born 1863 at Modewarre, died 1 October 1890 aged 27 years
George — born 1863 at Modewarre, died 1948 at St Kilda East
Elizabeth — born 1866 at Modewarre, married Frederick John Boddy in 1885, died 1957 at Moonee Ponds
Mina — born 1868 at Mount Moriac, married Herbert Henry Washington in 1898, died 1934 at Newtown and Chilwell aged 66
Mary — born 1870 at Mount Moriac, married Cadwallader, died 1935 at Essendon aged 65 years
Jack Andrew Thomas — born 1872 at Mount Moriac, married Maud Amelia Lake in June 1898, died 1868 at Toorak aged 68 years
Peter — born 1872 at Mount Moriac, died 1872 at Modewarre aged 1 month
Mabel Mildred — born 1875 at Winchelsea, died 7 December 1915 at Shelton, Ardmillan Street, Moonee Ponds
Henry Loftus — born 13 September 1878 at Prospect Villa, Winchelsea, married Sarah Margaret Dutton Beale on 16 February, 1904 at Moonee Ponds, died 26 May 1944 aged 65 years
He became a member of the Barrabool Road Board in 1863 and became one of the first councillors of the Shire of Barrabool serving from 1865 until 1872. In 1865 he was appointed a trustee of the Mount Moriac Cemetery. In 1882 he shifted to Winchelsea becoming the engineer at Winchelsea Shire.
In 1882-83, important additions were made to Ingleby station, owned by George Armytage. A large woolshed and further buildings designed by A T Moran were added.
Andrew died intestate on 29 September 1901 at the age of 75 years and was buried at Winchelsea Cemetery the following day. His estate was shared among his wife, Elizabeth Clarke (née Yates), and surviving children and three grandchildren. Elizabeth died on 19 August 1902 aged 76 years and was buried with Andrew.
George and Annis Bills, who had no children and loved animals, ran a successful spring manufacturing business. They met and married in Brisbane. Annis died in 1910 on a trip to England. George died in 1927, and left an estate of over £70,000. A trust was set up to place horse troughs where needed "for the relief of horses and other dumb animals". The first troughs were individually designed but by the 1930s they were made of precast concrete with a curved pediment which carried the inscription "Donated by Annis and George Bills Australia". The cost of the troughs was £13, plus transport and installation.
Not many of the troughs have survived considering about 700 were installed. Some in or near Geelong are:
Geelong — near the corner of Fitzroy and Ryrie Streets — this trough is missing its pediment
Breakwater — Geelong Showgrounds — this trough is filled with plants
Lara — near the RSL
Winchelsea — near the Barwon Hotel
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History