Thomas Mallett was a native of Birmingham, Warwickshire England. He arrived on the Travancore on 1 November 1849 with his wife Mary Ann (née Ordige). In 1856 he selected a 47½ allotment at Marshall on the corner of Barwon Heads and Reserve Roads and 30 acres in Sparrovale Road in 1860. The railway line to the old Geelong Racecourse at Sparrovale was later to cross this land. Thomas was an officer of the Corio division of the Sons of Temperance which was held in the Sons of Temperance Hall in Ryrie Street, Geelong.
A number of families from Marshall and Connewarre moved to the Strathbogie district when the land was opened up for selection. By the late 1880s Thomas and Mary were living at Strathbogie North. Thomas continued to buy and sell real estate in the Geelong district.
Thomas and Mary had the following children:
James Theophilus — born in 1848 in Birmingham, married Susannah Gardiner on 22 April 1873 at Aberdeen Street Baptist Church Geelong, died 16 October 1921 aged 73 years at the home of his son-in-law Phil Herbert Harold (Herb) Ibbott of Thurloo, 9 Stanhope Grove East Camberwell, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Lucy Emma — born about 1851, married John Adams in 1879, died 7 September 1926 aged 75 at 12 Foster Street, South Geelong
Mary Ann — born 1856 in Geelong, married George Strong in 1875, died 1932 aged 76 years at Newtown Victoria, buried on 15 April 1932 in the Methodist section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
William Arthur — born 1857 in Geelong, died 1911 aged 54 at Footscray, buried in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery with his mother
Robert — born 1858 at Connewarre, died 1933 aged 75 years at Bunyip
George Gittins — born 1861 at Geelong, died at 7 months the same year at Chilwell
Charles Thomas — born 1864 at Chilwell, died 1938 aged 73 at Ringwood
Ruth — born 1866 at Connewarre, married Edwin Orchard in 1887, died 1938 aged 72, buried 14 November 1938 in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Emma — born 1867 at Geelong, married George Congdon in 1890, died 1947 at Indented Head
Louisa — born 1871 at Geelong, married William James Thorne in 1891, died 3 June 1940, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Mary Ann died in 1901 aged 76 and was buried on 20 September in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery with her son William Arthur. Thomas died on 3 November 1905 aged 82 at his residence Maud Street Geelong and was buried in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. He left an estate of £1964.17.3. He left real estate to his children in Geelong, Barrabool, Marshall and Strathbogie.
One of Thomas' sons developed a jersey cattle stud and was a successful Melbourne Show exhibitor.
Two blocks in Sparrovale Road between Reserve and Tannery Roads (lots 22 and 28) were left to Lucy Emma Adams. Lot 28 was on the corner of an unnamed road. He also left lot 26 on the corner of Brearleys Lane and the unnamed road to her. Descendants of the Adams family lived in Marshall for many years.
The land which Thomas left to Charles Thomas Mallett (blue) was between Barwon Heads and Sparrovale Roads. Only part of lot 17 was included. The land Thomas selected in 1856 and 1860 (orange). The railway line to the old Geelong Racecourse crossed this land. The first race meeting to use the new line was held on 1 February 1878.
Charles Frederick, son of John and Elizabeth (née Marsham) Palmer, was born at Newtown, Geelong in 1862. He attended Geelong College from 1878 until 1881. During this time he received many awards in various sporting events.
He married Rosa Anna Hurring. They had the following children, most of whom were born in Geelong:
Charles Myles Jackson — born 1886, died 9 March 1887 at the age of 5 months, buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
Una Frances Rosalie — born 1887, married Paige Knight in 1922, died in 1868 in North Geelong at the age of 80
Gladys Elizabeth — born 1889 at Footscray, married Basil Noel Marcus Collins
Charles Noel Algernon — born 1891, married Lily Martha Naunton in 1938, died on 25 April, 1981 at the age of 89, buried in the Presbyterian section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
Laura Beatrice N — born 1893
Vera Grace Dorothy — born about 1895, died in 1959 in Melbourne aged 64
John Clifford Erle — born 1897
Evelyn Unita — born 1899, died 1 August 1991 aged 92, buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
John Vernon — born 1901
Sylvia — born 1905
Clive Ronald — born 1907, died on 16 December 1976, buried at Karrakatta Cemetery in WA
Charles was well known in the tannery trade. At the age of 18 years, he started work as a clerk at Brearley brothers' tannery at Marshall. When the tannery closed he took up employment in Footscray with Michaelis Hallenstein & Company where he learned about the tannery trade. He later took over management of the Australian Tannery at Marshalltown. He also managed George Gardiner's tannery which he ultimately purchased in 1912. On 22 July 1926 a tornado caused extensive damage to the establishment. Not long after he sold out to JC King.
He was a South Barwon councillor, serving from 1916 until 1925. He was president for a term in 1922-23.
He died on 17 July 1934 at the age of 74 at his home "Sylvesten", 128 Aphrasia Street, Newtown and was buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Western Cemetery. He left an estate of £4394 to his wife and children. Rosa died on 16 Jun 1945 at the age of 74 and was buried with him.
You might ask what are these occupations.
A fellmonger is a dealer in fells or sheepskins, who separates the wool from the pelts. He is the person who prepares the skin prior to leather making. The wool was then scoured. A wool scouring factory might have bought fleeces and then scoured the wool.
A tanner is the person who processes the skins to produce leather.
A currier applies the dressing, and colouring to the tanned hide to make it strong, flexible and waterproof.
Boiling down is the process of rendering fat from animal carcasses to produce tallow. Tallow was used for making soap and candles. It brought the price of old animals up considerably and was a boost to the farmer when animal prices were low.
Glue is produced by the boiling of animal connective tissue.
Bone mills produce fertiliser and glue by processing animal bones.
These industries were an important part of Geelong's economy. Hundreds of men were employed at these factories. At first the river was used to wash the skins. Later they were washed in vats. The area probably smelled like the abattoirs and sale yards at Newmarket in Melbourne which I remember well from my childhood. Maybe it was worse.
A number of streets have names that reflect the activities carried on in the area:
Tanner Street, Leather Street, Currier Street and Fellmongers Road in Breakwater
Woolscour Lane and Tannery Road in Marshall
Some of the owners of factories on the south and west side of the Barwon were (from North):
Charles John Dennys, sold to Samuel Bradley Corrigan
Patrick McDonald and Lawrence Webster, later leased by George Kingsbury and George Connor, later became Corrigans
Charles Frederick Palmer
Joseph and Sharp Brearley
St Cuthbert's Church of England, built in 1911, was situated between the two cypresses on the Marshall Reserve in Marshalltown Road. It was built beside an old church which had originally been used also as a school. The old church was replaced by a Sunday School in 1922. When the congregation moved to Heyers Road, Grovedale the old church was moved to Cobbin Farm in Grove Road, Grovedale where it is often used for weddings.
A grand meadow fete was held in 1899 to procure funds to renovate the interior of the old church and to build a chancel if possible. By all reports in the Geelong Advertiser the fete was a huge success. A profit of £83 6s 5d was made. In appreciation of the hard work of the ladies, the church committee invited them to a picnic. By 1901 the advertisement for another meadow fete to be held was in aid of the new church building fund. For a number of years, before and after 1911, fetes and tea meetings were held to raise further funds. In 1913 it was a wisteria fete where the interior was decorated with wisteria which gave a dainty and pleasing effect. The new church was dedicated by the Archbishop of Melbourne on 10 June 1911. Councillors and officers of the Shire of South Barwon were invited to attend. In 1916, after the debt on the church had been paid, the proceeds of the fete went towards gas lighting in the church. In 1917 two honour rolls were unveiled. Parishioners, relatives and friends of those whose names were on the boards attended the church for the service on Sunday evening 15 March. There was a parade of the Young Men's Club, whose roll contained 18 names of members who had enlisted.
Until the Marshalltown Post Office was closed on 30 June 1979, it was reputed to be Victoria's smallest post office. At 6 feet 6 inches square it had stood on the Marshall station platform since 1873 until the station closed in 1953. It was then shifted across the road to the front yard of a former Victorian Railways residence that was once the station master's home. Mrs Elsie Taylor, the last post mistress and her husband Angus, who was a foreman at the VR works depot at Spotwswood donated the building to the Bellarine Railway. The little building was taken on a trailer to the Drysdale station on Saturday 19 April, 1980. It was placed on the platform and became the booking office when the tourist railway began operating. In 1989 when a replice station building was completed at Drysdale it was moved to Lakers Siding.
The Geelong Harbor Trust took over the farm of 1077 acres in 1908. The trust's operation of the farm was always subject to criticism, and when the trust was reconstituted in October, 1933 the new commissioners decided to relinquish control of this land. The farm, being a Crown grant, reverted to the Lands Department and was disposed of at a Government land sale. The trust was credited with the amount of the sale, at the upset price of £10,500. On 9 December 1936 this land was sold to WH Bailey of Woodside Buangor. The improvements included a substantial residence.
A clearing sale of bloodstock was held on 1 March 1944 under instructions of WH Bailey and also the trustees of the estate of his father Stephen Bailey, who had died on 18 October 1943 at Suma Park, Queenscliff. Top price paid was for "Much to Say", a brown mare, bought by Mr McMeekin of Geelong for 205 guineas. "Patricia Lorraine", a brown mare, went to Mr PM Darcy of Birregurra for 67 guineas.
In 1955 the property was sold to CO Lorimer for £70,000. In 1964 it was again sold to the Perkins family partnership, Sparrovale Pastoral Company.
It was planned that an area of 3.7 hectares would be acquired for a 22 metre wide drainage channel and a weir with removable drop boards to temporarily drain water from the Armstrong Creek East Precinct until it can be replaced by future wetlands.
It is now thought that a large wetland system to protect against flooding in Armstrong Creek will be needed. This will abut the Ramsar listed wetlands. More than 500 hectares will be required to create the wetland before housing can begin in the "Horshoe Bend" precinct. These wetlands are to be known as Sparrovale.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History