The next meeting of the Mount Duneed History Group is at 7:30 on Thursday 7 December. This will be the Christmas breakup. Participants are asked to bring something old to talk about or a plate of supper.
A trust was formed at a public meeting at the state school to manage the Mount Duneed Recreation Reserve in 1909. As soon as this was gazetted £10 was received from the Lands Department for fencing and improvements. This was conditional that the sum of £5 be contributed by locals.
The members of the Committee of Management elected were:
David McLaren Whitelaw
Alfred Gilbert White
The regulations for the reserve were decided on and were printed on cloth.
The recreation reserve in Russells Road originally stretched to Williams Road. The rifle range was situated in the south west area, shooting towards the east. Preliminary meetings were held during 1900 to establish a rifle club. The range was opened on 5 January 1901. A block was fenced off for the Wesleyan church. The remains of the church, which was destroyed in the 1944 fire, are still visible to the east of the entrance gate. The cemetery is situated on this reserve in Williams Road. To the south of the cemetery land was reserved for a Presbyterian church and manse. This church was never built and the land was later sold. The Mount Duneed Pony Club, which was founded in 1985, uses the reserve. Cricket is played on Saturdays on the oval.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History