John William, son of John and Agnes (née Howe) Prowse, was born in 1878 at Weering. By 1890 his parents had taken up farming at Layard.
John became a Barrabool Shire councillor in 1916 and served until 1950 including six terms as president in 1923, 1926, 1929, 1932, 1937 and 1946.
He married Mary Hammond in 1902. They had the following children at Mount Moriac:
Margaret Agnes — born 1902
Dorothy Irene — born 1904
John William Garnard — born 1906, died 17 August 1985 aged 79, buried in the Church of England section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery
Alma Milford — born 1908
Mary died on 19 October 1918 and was buried in the Church of England section of the Mount Moriac Cemetery. John died on 30 October 1951 at Geelong and was buried with Mary.
The Bluestone Cottage at Marshall
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History