Example of his work at Mount Duneed Cemetery:
Nash worked on:
St Mary's Church
St Patrick's Catholic Church at Mount Moriac
Rothwell Bridge (Little River)
Council offices at Duck Ponds (Lara)
Waurn Ponds Bridge
He won a competition to design a memorial to Queen Victoria following her death in 1901 which was erected in Market Square outside the Exhibition Building.
Clement Nash was born in 1820 in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, England . After serving an apprenticeship he became a master stonemason and moved to Norwich were he worked on the cathedral. He married Charlotte, daughter of John and Dinah Clapton. Two sons were born in Norwich:
Ernest — born on 30 November 1848 at Norwich in Norfolk, died 1932 in Geelong
Augustus Harold — born on 2 July 1851 at Winchcomb in Gloucestershire, died 1914
He arrived in Geelong on the ship Joshua in September 1854 with his family.
Two more sons were born in Geelong were:
Albert — born in 1855 at Chilwell, died in 1879 at Geelong
Harry Felix — born in 1865, died in 1871 at Geelong
Nash moved from his yard on the corner of Ryrie and Gheringhap Streets in 1874 to a yard on the corner of Gheringhap Street and Brougham Place (now Brougham Street). His eldest son, Ernest, joined him in the business. He married Frances Eliza (Fanny), daughter of John and Eliza Keown on 14 October 1875.
Charlotte died on 9 October 1896 aged 70 and was buried in the old Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. Clement died on 5 March 1910 at the age of 90 years, at his son's home, and was buried with Charlotte. Sons Albert, Harry and Augustus and granddaughter Mabel Clapton Nash are also buried in this plot.
Joseph Smith died at 10 o'clock in the evening on Sunday 1 August 1915 at the age of 54. He was at his home "Larra" at 29 Candover Street, Geelong West enjoying a smoke when he had an unexpected heart attack. He was being treated by Dr Fetherstonhaugh for heart disease, but nothing suggested his imminent demise. In the afternoon he had attended the Masonic gathering at the Mechanics Hall and was at St Paul's Church in the evening. He did not complain of feeling unwell. He was sitting in the kitchen when he collapsed.
Mr Smith was elevated to Grand Master for Victoria for the Manchester Unity Independant Order of Oddfellows (MUIOOF) in 1913 when he attended the annual conference of the order held at Williamstown. This position was attained by keen and enthusiastic attention to the affairs of the lodge. He had an excellent knowledge of lodge laws and filled the job with credit. He was a past-president of the Geelong Friendly Societies' Dispensary, being elected as the first president in November 1899.
He took an interest in supporting his community and was president of the Geelong West Free Library, a member of the Geelong West State School board and a member of the Geelong West Progress Association. He was a worshipper at St Paul's Church and had been a vestryman on several occasions.
In his trade as a monumental mason he was particularly successful, and had learned his trade and gained practical experience after a modelling and designing course in Mr Sasse's Technological school. He carried on his business at 240 Ryrie Street, Geelong.
He rented the site from Benjamin Holdsworth from the 1890s and some time between 1910 and 1915 when he purchased the property. When he died his widow Sarah Hannah (née Taylor) inherited the property, which consisted of a brick building, weatherboard office and land.
In 1927 Hannah had a house built on land adjoining the stone yard after demolishing an existing brick cottage. It was described as an asymmetrical, two storey, unpainted brick interwar house. It had a recessed balcony porch under the main roof, which is supported by cement rendered Doric columns. Soon after it was converted to flats, Hannah living in one and the other rented out. After Hannah died Charles and Allan inherited the property. Hannah and Joseph's children were:
Joseph John — born 1891, died 1900
Ethel Harriet — born in 1897, married Albert John Cousin in 1921, died on 8 January 1926 at Brighton
Allan Joseph — born in 1901, married Margaret Ann Jean Messervy, died on 2 August 1963
Charles Gilson — born in 1903, died on 22 August 1879
Joseph left an estate of £5420. After his death his business, was carried on by sons, Allan and Charles. Hannah died in August 1942 at the age of 77. She was buried with Joseph in the Church of England section of the Geelong Western Cemetery.
Examples of his work:
Blyth, Ewing and Agnes
Ellis, Robert and Elizabeth
Lewis, Harold Clifford (son of William and Ellen)
Lewis, William and Ellen
Parker, William and Margaret Helen
Charles Wilcox came from England, arriving in Geelong in 1854. He established a business as a monumental mason in the same year. He married Elizabeth Ride in 1856. Their children were:
Louisa Caroline — married Henry Williamson 11 April 1878 at her parents home
Elizabeth Ann — born 1857
Charles Robert — born 1859
Edward John — born 1860
William Henry — born 1862, died 1937, married Lizzie Armstead
Edward Davies — born 1865, died 1943
Charles died on 28 June 1893, aged 65, and was buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. Elizabeth, who died in December 1907 at the age of 83 was buried with him.
Nathaniel Brown was born in Derbyshire on 18 March 1815. In 1854 he had a severe illness and came to Australia later that year under medical advice to move to a warmer climate. After retiring in 1890, he returned to Nottingham at the age of 76 to repay debts incurred before his migration.
When he died at the age of 91 in August 1906 a lengthy funeral procession left the Yarra Street Methodist Church, where he had been a prominent member for over forty years, for his interment at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. His late wife, Caroline, had died in December 1855 at the age of 34 years. The unveiling of their restored tombstone in 2003 by Allan Willingham was followed by a short walk looking at examples of Brown’s work. In 1865 he married Mary Toan.
At Brown’s 90th birthday celebration he received congratulations from a large number of relatives and friends. He was described as hale and hearty, had been closely associated with the Methodist Church, Geelong, from the earliest days. He was an enthusiast in Sunday school worker, and was specially gifted in addressing scholars, his addresses being characterised by their originality and effectiveness. He had recently retired from active church and Sunday school work and with his wife, who was also a teacher in the school, are both keen to see the work they loved carried on by a younger generation.
Brown was the superintendent of the Noble Street Sunday School for many years where he was always listened to attentively. He noticed that both teachers and children got into the bad habit of coming late. He announced that each Sunday morning he would tell an interesting story for five minutes before the opening. Very few came late after that.
After Brown’s death, in October 1906, the Geelong Advertiser printed a letter which had appeared in a Nottingham newspaper years prior:
The Bluestone Cottage at Marshall
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History