John Syrett married Susanna Mcadoe (or McAdoo) in 1857. They had the following children:
John — born in 1858, died on 29 November 1937 aged 80, buried in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Worked for Andrew White as a station hand.
Lucy — born in 1860 at Connewarre, died 1934 aged 74 at Carnegie
Maria — born 1862 at Connewarre, married Fyffe
Sarah — born in 1863 at Connewarre, died in 1931 aged 67 at Geelong, buried on 25 June 1931 in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Margaret — born about 1867 at Connewarre, married Thomas, died in 1944 aged 77 at Ballarat, buried on 12 June 1944 in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Susannah — born in 1870 in Connewarre, died in 1955 aged 85 at Geelong, buried on 13 September 1955 in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Elizabeth — born in 1872 at Geelong, married Bray, died in 1923 at Geelong
The family lived on the north east corner of Torquay and Boundary Roads (Grovedale at the time). They were said to have bought the old Yarborough Inn which had been shifted to a block south of the Mount Duneed Cemetery, to use as a manse, in anticipation of a Presbyterian church being built. He then had it shifted to Grovedale.
John died on 5 July 1898 and left his estate to his wife. An application for probate was not applied for until after Susanna died on 19 October in 1918 as
she told her son that she had the will and the title deeds of the property and she was entitled to live there until she died. She told him to take the papers to the solicitor after she died. He did this and found out that he should have done this sooner.
The property was sold to Heinrich Reinhold Winter on 19 April 1923 for £750 with interest of £16/7/10 totalled £766/7/10. The seven children received £97/9/6 each.
The Mount Duneed History Group and the Mount Duneed Progress Association hold their meetings at the Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed. The land for this hall was given to the community in the late 1940s by a local resident and held by trustees. A hall was erected by Eric J Lyons (later EJ Lyons & Sons) as a meeting place for the Mount Duneed Progress Asssociation and for the use of the residents in the Barrabool Shire. The land and building were handed over to the shire in about 1975 with the thought of building tennis courts and swimming pool in the future.
The first known meeting of the present progress association was on 17 February 1998. It had been in recess for a number of years and the hall needed a lot of renovation. Power needed to be connected, bees removed, cleaning and painting carried out and pest strips laid. The grounds were gradually developed by the association over time. A barbeque area and shelter were established and a playground built by volunteers. Daffodils, jonquils, trees and shrubs were planted.
In 1995 when amalgamation and restructure of the councils took place the City of Greater Geelong became the new owners of the hall. The council was keen to sell the hall in 1997. A number of residents challenged this decision and after a panel hearing it was decided to keep the hall.
William Walker was born in 1846 in Grantham, England. In 1849 he migrated with his parents, maternal grandparents and sister. On 2 September 1874 he married Jane (née Clydesdale) Kishere. William and Jane had six children:
Minnie May — born 1875
Elizabeth Jane — born 1878
Eleanor — born 1880
Lily Lillian — born 1882
Walter William — born 1884
Lydia — born 1886
Walker owned "Bay View" stables in Corio Terrace next to the Geelong Coffee Palace. He had stabling for 80 horses. Wedding carriages, four in hand wagons, single and double buggies and dog carts could be hired with a competent steady driver. He also had a bus line to North Geelong.
In 1895, he built substantial bluestone stables at 327 Shannon Avenue Newtown providing accommodation for eleven horses. He was reputed to have used stone from Foster Fyans old house "Balyang" near Princes Bridge. This building is currently for sale:
He acquired a bus from Cardiff which he called the Sunbeam. On the first day that the Sunbeam was in service it was drawn by four grey horses. St Augustine's Orphanage Band was taken to town and back, playing music as it went. He continued to run his bus service until November 1901.
William and Jane lived at Calder Park, Mount Duneed from 1902 to 1908. Jane died on 1 Jun 1919 aged 75 years and was buried at the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. William who died in September 1922 aged 76 was buried with her.
The Mount Duneed Post Office was on the crest of the hill in Torquay Road, Mount Duneed. The house was named Kirriemuir after Jane's birth place in Scotland — photo contributed by Russ Preston
I had a message today asking if I knew the origin of the name Blackgate Road. The Black Gate was a landmark on the Torquay Road from 1875 onwards. Black Gate Road (later named Blackgate Road), a road dividing Mount Duneed and Torquay, was named to perpetuate the memory of it. The last reference to the Black Gate appeared in the Geelong Advertiser in January 1906. Was the gate rebuilt after being destroyed in 1901?
Part of the will of the Reverend William Corbett Wilson who died on 25 May 1853. He left treasured items to his son — a four volume bible, a silver tea pot, a snuff box, a gold hunting watch, a four volume Johnson's dictionary and a double barrelled gun lathe and tools.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History