Frederick, son of Francis and Ann (née Orris) Challis, was born in Suffolk England in 1849. On 13 July 1874 he married Elizabeth Amelia Melhuish, daughter of John Southwood and Elizabeth Fry (née Mitchell) Melhuish. She was born on 16 October 1848. The couple had two children:
Elizabeth Ann — born on 9 September 1874, married Arthur Burvill in 1896, died on 27 June 1950 at Ballarat
Charlotte Amelia (Lottie) — Born in 1883 at Mount Duneed, married Frank Joseph Hopgood in 1912, died on 3 April 1976 aged 93 years, buried in the lawn section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Frederick purchased about five acres of land on the corner of Flinders Parade, Bridge Road and Hitchcock Avenue, Barwon Heads from John Middlemiss on 13 January, 1876. He also acquired six acres on the south side of Bridge Road — the site where the Barwon Heads Hotel was later built. He farmed this land until about 1890.
Elizabeth died on 14 May 1908 at Barwon Heads and was buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery.
Frederick Married Louisa (née Davey) Brockley in 1911. The couple had no children. When she died on 22 September 1921 she was buried with Frederick's first wife. Frederick's parents Francis and Ann are also buried here.
In 1922 Frederick married Hannah Mary Preston, daughter of Thomas and Matilda (née Browne) Preston. Frederick died on 26 January 1926 and was buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. Hannah died on 4 October 1959 aged 90 years
Martin Klabbers will present Barwon Heads photos from the past and compare them with the same buildings now
7:30 pm 7 June 2018 at Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed
Anyone is welcome to attend this meeting and stay for a cuppa after
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History