Joshua Bannister was a general and wholesale produce merchant and commission agent, trading as Joshua Bannister & Co. He took over the premises of John Warren in Gheringhap Street Geelong in 1882. By 1884 he was advertising that he could sell chaff cheaper than others in Geelong could sell hay.
He was a South Barwon councillor, serving from 1886 until 1888. He lived at "Holmwood" Highton. In a meeting to address ratepayers before the election he pointed out the necessity for street lighting, especially in the vicinity of Belmont. He was in favour of making the streets and asphalting the footpaths in order to induce the residents of Geelong to live in the district. He said he was also in favour of tree planting. In 1886 after resigning from his council position at South Barwon Shire he nominated to stand as a candidate for the Villamanta ward of the Geelong council. He served from 9 November 1893 until his death.
He was well known breeder of high class trotters. He was a vice president and captain of Corio Bay Rowing Club, vice president of the Geelong and District Coursing Club, president of the Geelong Recreation Club (previously the Yorick Club) and a member of the Mopokes (became part of the Yorick Club).
In March, 1891 his produce store on the south east corner of Gheringhap and Little Malop Streets was extensively damaged by fire. Although the value of the stock and buildings was estimated at £5,400, the insurance cover was only £2,600.
A clearing sale of trotting sires, brood mares and young stock took place at Kirk's Bazaar on 12 July 1907.
He died on 25 September 1907 at a Sydney Sanatorium. He was buried in the lawn section of the Geelong Western Cemetery. The funeral was attended by a large number, including the mayor and councillors of the town. He left an estate of £11,945 to his widow, Jessie Page, relatives and friends. Jessie died on 4 December 1938.
A sale of city properties was held in 1917. The produce business was taken over by Robert Lyall & Son.
Looking from the east, this photo has Kardinia Farm, on the corner of Larcombe Street and Roslyn Road, highlighted and corresponds with the map below. It shows Kardinia Creek running through the allotment, then crossing Roslyn Road and running to the east of where the Highton shopping village is now — photo Charles Pratt
Francis and Mary must have been really inspired by the beautiful rolling hills and the creek where they lived as they used this name when they christened their second daughter Kardinia Park. The name Park was Mary's maiden name. She was the first of a number of girls who bore this name. Two of Kardinia's brothers, George and Francis, used the name for their daughters. George's daughter Kardinia also used this name for her daughter, born in 1901. George's first daughter Lydia Ellen Bennett married Frederick William Hart and included the name when naming their daughter in 1898. Kardinia's sister, Eliza and her husband Thomas Yates, also used the name. The name certainly did not come from Geelong Football Club's home ground as the park was known as Chilwell Flat until 1872 and Geelong used other grounds before World War 2.
Lewis Charles, son of James and Penelope (née Baynes) Conran was born in 1821. He was a Lieutenant-Colonel who served in the 56th and 11th regiments in Canada and Jamaica. In the 1840s he went to Norfolk Island in charge of convicts. When he came to Victoria in 1851, just before the gold rush, he was appointed Sergeant-at-Arms to the Legislative Assemble and aide-de-camp to Governor Latrobe. He returned to England in 1852.
He married Catherine Spencer, daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann (née Barry) Wills in 1850. They had the following children:
Thomas — born 1850, married Evelyn Ford in 1878, died 1915
Henry — born 1851, married Mary Molle in 1886, died 1924
Charles — born 1854, married Helen Brock in 1897, died 1939
Marcell — born 1855, married married Charlotte McLacklan in 1881, died 1935
Kate — born 1863, died 1964
Catherine died on 27 August 1884 aged 52 years.
Lewis returned to Geelong in 1874, taking up farming at Highton, living on the west side of Thornhill Road (south of Bonsey Road) at Barrabool House, a seven roomed dwelling with kitchen, pantry and stabling. The address of the house now is 13 Pepperdine Way. He grazed sheep and cattle on his land. In 1878 he applied for and was granted a slaughtering license.
In 1888 he married Catherine Sarah, daughter of Hugh Lawrence McLeod from Claremont, Waurn Ponds. They had the following children:
Hugh — born 1889, married Edith Cooke in 1918, died 1957
Noel — born 1891, died 1916
Enid — born 1892, died 1960
Catherine died on 21 August 1941 at Kandy in Ceylon.
Lewis was a South Barwon Shire councillor serving from 1876 until 1886 and was president from 1879 until 1880. He was also a Barrabool Shire councillor from 1878 until 1881 including a term as president in 1880. He was a member of St John's Church of England in Highton and for some time sat in the Church Assembly. He died on 10 January 1892, aged 72 years and was buried in the Church of England section of the Highton Cemetery with his first wife Catherine. He left an estate valued at £6642.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History