Robert Wilhelm Lemke was born on 26 October 1821 in Prussia. He married Caroline Hilderbrandt in 1855. They had the following children:
Paul — born 1860 at Grovedale
Caroline — born 1862 at Grovedale, married Julius Theodor Grossmann in 1899, died 1928 at Geelong aged 66
Emma Wilhelmine — born 1863, died 1941
Ida Frederike — born 1865 at Grovedale
Gustave Adolph Wilhelm — born 1867 at Geelong, died the same year, buried at Grovedale Cemetery
Julius Robert — born 1869, married Emma Louise Petrass, died January 1930 at Ballarat of pneumonia aged 61
Agnes Juliana — born 1869 at Geelong, married Paul Emil Grossmann in 1891, died 1934 at Geelong West aged 64
Augusta Elizabeth Amelia — born 1871, died 13 March 1918 aged 46, buried at Grovedale Cemetery
Marie Wilhelmina Elizabeth — born 1873 at Geelong, died 8 May 1877, buried at Grovedale Cemetery
Albert — born 1877 at Grovedale, died 8 May 1877 aged 1 month, buried at the Grovedale Cemetery
Sophia — born 1878 at Grovedale, died in infancy
Robert grew grapes on 41 acres at Belmont.
He died on 31 March 1893 aged 71 years and 10 months and was buried at Grovedale Cemetery. Caroline died 19 May 1897 aged 64 years and was buried with him.
Our next meeting is at 7:30 pm on 9 May 2019 at Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed when John Edmonds will talk about the Evans family.
The Mount Duneed History Group and the Mount Duneed Progress Association hold their meetings at the Mount Duneed Hall, 40 Mount Duneed Road, Mount Duneed. The land for this hall was given to the community in the late 1940s by a local resident and held by trustees. A hall was erected by Eric J Lyons (later EJ Lyons & Sons) as a meeting place for the Mount Duneed Progress Asssociation and for the use of the residents in the Barrabool Shire. The land and building were handed over to the shire in about 1975 with the thought of building tennis courts and swimming pool in the future.
The first known meeting of the present progress association was on 17 February 1998. It had been in recess for a number of years and the hall needed a lot of renovation. Power needed to be connected, bees removed, cleaning and painting carried out and pest strips laid. The grounds were gradually developed by the association over time. A barbeque area and shelter were established and a playground built by volunteers. Daffodils, jonquils, trees and shrubs were planted.
In 1995 when amalgamation and restructure of the councils took place the City of Greater Geelong became the new owners of the hall. The council was keen to sell the hall in 1997. A number of residents challenged this decision and after a panel hearing it was decided to keep the hall.
The Bluestone Cottage at Marshall
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History