Robert Albert (Nip), son of William and Elizabeth (née Tait) Scott, was born in 1901 at Connewarre. He married Ethel May, daughter of Charles and Mary Ann Johanna (née Tonacia) Dunn. Robert and Elizabeth had the following children:
Robert Tait — born on 27 June 1927, married Margaret Mary, died on 17 May 2001 aged 73 years, buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Norma — born on 7 November 1928, married Oswald (Ossie) Middleton, died on 3 December 2007
Brian Albert — died in a car accident aged 13 years on 15 March 1946
Robert ran a dairy farm at the end of Kings Lane, Marshall with a small herd of guernsey and fresian cattle. He successfully showed the cattle he bred at Melbourne, Geelong and Colac shows. He was a committee member of the Geelong Agricultural Society.
He was a South Barwon councillor for 19 years, serving from 1949 until 1967. He was president in 1954-55 and 1963-64. He was a life governor of Glastonbury Children's Home in Belmont, a foundation member and president of Marshall Progress Association, president of the Marshall Grovedale Rural Fire Brigade for ten years, president of Southern District Cricket for ten years and president and life member of Marshall Grovedale Football Club.
Robert died on 16 May 1974 at Geelong and was buried in the Roman Catholic section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery with Ethel who died on 7 January 1971 aged 70 years at Geelong and son, Brian.
When Ewing Blyth was 21 in 1853, he left Norwich England to come to Australia on the Earl of Charlemont. His name on the passenger list was Ewing Bligh. He had been accused of shooting the squire's bullock and was in fear of being deported as a convict. He had allowed his name to be incorrectly used so his whereabouts could not be easily traced. After the ship was wrecked, he repeated this event by shooting a bullock to feed the survivors off the ship. This beast belonged to James Tait who had settled at Tait's Point on Lake Connewarre and who later became his father-in-law.
Ewing Blyth gained work in the district and two years later married Agnes, the 16 year old daughter of James Tait at Connewarre. They spent all their lives living in Lake Road on the banks of the Barwon River. Their family of five boys and six girls were:
James Tait Blyth — born 20 September 1860 in Connewarre, died 26 Jun 1943 in Preston aged 83, buried in the Presbyterian section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery
Frances Blyth — born 31 July 1862, married William Spencer 1888, died 19 March 1940 Geelong
Ellen Blyth — born 29 October 1864 in Connewarre, married John Elijah Kempton 1888, died 19 May 1953 Geelong
Benjamin Blyth — born 1 April 1867, married Ann Ford 1895, died 24 November 1918
Ewing John Blyth — born 1869 at Connewarre, married Emma Isabella Taylor 1905, died 26 October 1951 at Flinders
Robert Ewing Blyth — born 1872, married Elisabeth Ann Martin Cameron 1896, died 1949
Mary Ann Blyth — born on 5 November 1874, married John Ford 1897, died 1945 in Geelong
Elizabeth Blyth (Bessie) — born 1877 at Mount Duneed, died 1898
Agnes Blyth — born 1879 at Mount Duneed, married Charles Marriott Burt, died 24 November 1952
Annie Blyth — born 1882 at Mount Duneed, died 22 May 1914 at Geelong
Alexander Tait Blyth — born 1884 in Mount Duneed, married Esther Hannah Challis in 1910, died 1970 in Connewarre
Ewing was a South Barwon Shire councillor serving from 1874 until 1875.
Agnes died on 25 February 1920 and is buried in the Church of England section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery. Ewing died on 1 June 1925 and is buried with her. Their daughter Annie who died on 22 May 1914 is buried with them. Ewing Blyth Drive, a road which runs south from the Barwon Heads Hotel, is named after him. Many of their descendants still live in the district.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History