Charles Nuttall, son of Thomas and Maria (née Nutall) Thorne, was born in Bristol in 1819. He arrived in Geelong on the Prince of Wales via Sydney in 1847. He resided at Thornehill, a property with a lodge and vineyard in Highton. Thornhill Road takes its name from him. He had married Frederica Susanna Bayly who was born in Newfoundland in Canada. They had the following children:
Thomas Walter — born about 1845 in Newfoundland, married Agnes McKellar on 18 August 1872 at St Paul's church, London, died 2 June 1924 aged 79 at Kurryala in Muston Street in Mosman NSW. Thomas rode his pony into Geelong each to attend the Church of England grammar school.
Frederica Bayly — born on 25 October 1846 in London, married George Frederick Belcher on 28 August 1875, died in 1881 at Leopold
Emily Elizabeth — born in 1848, died 1927 in Geelong
Albert Charles — born on 31 May 1850 at Newtown, married Alice Odell on 10 September 1872 at the Congregational Church in Prahran
unnamed female — born on 20 April 1852 at Barrabool Hills
Isabella Sophia — born in 1853 at Barrabool Hills, died 18 January 1908 at Meek Street, Brighton
Florence Augusta — born on 21 March 1855 at Barrabool Hills, married George Frederick Belcher on 12 April 1887 at Christ Church in Hawthorn, died in 1921 aged 66, buried in the Church of England section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
unnamed female — born 1856 at Geelong
Thekla Julia — born in 1857, died on January 1940 aged 82 at Noble Street in Newtown
Henry Heber — born in 1861 in Melbourne, died 7 April 1883 aged 21 in Gunning in NSW
George Augustus — born 1859 at Barrabool Hills, married Alice Maude Llewelyn on 17 February 1892 at St John's Church in Toorak
Ella Tryphena — married Henry Bruce Morton on 11 November at Christ Church, South Yarra
unnamed female — born 1863 at Melbourne
Charles was described as a merchant and a banker. He was appointed a justice of peace in 1850. In 1853 he tendered his resignation as a member of the Town Council for the Kardinia ward. He was chairman of the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company which constructed and owned the railway between Geelong and Melbourne. The line was officially opened on 25 June, 1857. He was a director of the Geelong branch of the Bank of New South Wales and a member of the Geelong board of the Professional Life Assurance Company. He was a South Barwon councillor from 1850-1860.
He was on a building committee with John Highett and Edward Sandford to supervise the building of the St John's Anglican school which cost a total of £1000. The school opened on 24 April, 1854 with 33 boys and 32 girls in attendance. This building was used for the first Anglican services in Highton and was on the corner of Scenic (originally named Boundary) and Barrabool Roads.
He moved away from Geelong to Newcastle where he became a partner in the shipping firm of Dibbs, Thorne and Co, the manager of the Newcastle Joint Stock Bank, involved in the coal industry and chairman of the Newcastle Minmi Colliery Company. He then to South Yarra where he died on 26 June, 1864 at the age of 44 years after a long and painful illness. He was buried in the Church of England section of the St Kilda Cemetery. Frederica, who died on 7 December 1892 aged 70 was buried with him.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History