- John Ford (1787-1870) was the earliest born of those interred at the Mount Duneed Cemetery. He bought some of the original Crown land in Mount Duneed. Five generations of Fords farmed the land at Mount Duneed.
- His son John was born in October 1820 in Derbyshire, England. He was one of the founders of the Grovedale Wesleyan Church, which met in private homes until 1853 when the first church was built. He held office in the Sabbath School and on the building committee where he was appointed secretary in 1870 and became chapel steward in 1875. He was also mentioned for supplying wood and boiling the water at picnics and tea meetings. He married Hester (Esther) Humphrey (née Tansley) from Connewarre. He died in June 1892. Descendants of his in the Ford and Spencer families worshipped at Grovedale for many years. On 7 June 1892 he was found dead in the dray by his stepson George Humphrey. In a post mortem examination by Rupert Pincott he was found to have died of fatty degeneration of the heart and ossification of the mitral valve. He was aged 71 years. Their daughter Ann(1869-1908) married Benjamin Blyth, a son of Ewing Blyth and Agnes Tait.
- The 3rd generation John Ford (1871-1946) was also involved in the same church in many ways, being first appointed as a helper in the Sabbath School in 1886. He married Mary Ann Blyth (1874-1945), also a child of Ewing Blyth, a survivor of the Earl of Charlemont shipwreck, and Agnes Tait, daughter of James Tait, an early settler at Tait's Point Lake Connewarre. Children of John and Mary Ann were:
Evelyn Hester — born 1899, died 24 July 1985
Gladys Alexandra — born 1901, died 5 February 1968 aged 67
Lesley Helen — born 1901, married Charles Henry Spencer in 1927, died 21 November 1992
Beatrice Annie — born 18 February 1906, died 26 May 1995
John — born 1912, died 17 August 1984 aged 72
Ron — born 1917, married Joyce, died 13 September 2007
John died on 15 April 1946. All were buried in the Methodist section of the Mount Duneed Cemetery.
- The sons in the next generation were John (Jack) and Ron. Ron was also involved with the Grovedale Methodist Church. Jack was captain of the Connewarre Fire Brigade from 1943 to 1950. Land previously owned by the Ford family in Boundary Road is now being developed as Ashbury.
In an exceptionally short will John Ford left his estate to his wife Hester when he died on 7 June 1892. When Hester died she left the farm to her son John and other assets to Ann. The land on the corner of McCanns and Horshoebend Road was described as a grass paddock. The farm in the block bounded by Burvilles, Barwarre, Horshoebend and Boundary Roads was owned by Benjamin Blyth at the time of his death on 24 November 1918, but was later farmed by a fourth generation of the Ford family. It is currently being developed as Ashbury.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History