Lawrence Trewin, was one of the first settlers in Duneed parish, having purchased 320 acres of Crown land in April 1850. He later purchased adjoining allotment to the west, originally purchased by John Kiddle, who had died in 1852. This allotment of 603 acres stretched from Reservoir Road to Waurn Ponds Creek. It had a frontage to Devon and Cape Otway Roads. The Colac Road was later to pass through this allotment. He named his farm Clifford and this later became the name of the surrounding settlement. He owned a store and hotel which were near the corner of Colac and Devon Roads. In 1873 he announced he was selling his stock and leaving the district for Echuca, but it was not until 1877 that his 535 acres and seven room stone house were successfully auctioned. The buyer was John Clinnick who owned Glendarroch, the adjoining farm. Thomas Larcombe was a later owner.
Lawrence was one of a group of men who actively campaigned for better roads in the Barrabool and Duneed parishes late in 1850. He became a founding member of the Barrabool Road Board in 1854 and served again in 1862. Eventually 800 metres of the Colac Road ran through his farm. He was a member of the Bible Christian Church and the cricket club. He enjoyed many ploughing matches instituted by the Geelong Agricultural Society which also provided most of the prize money. Two of his sons, William and John, competed as boys.
On 17 July 1866 at 7 pm, Lawrence was riding home when he had an awful accident when his horse ran into an unlit cab. His valuable horse was killed instantly by the shaft penetrating its heart and he had his foot amputated leaving him disabled.
Lawrence, son of Francis and Elizabeth (née Watts) Trewin, was baptised on 14 March 1819 at Kilkhampton, Cornwall, England. He married Ann Martin on 1 April, 1841. Soon after they sailed for Australia on the Westminster, arriving on 30 July 1841. Lawrence was 23 and Ann 21 years of age and both were shown as farm servants. They both worked for Dr Alexander Thompson on arrival. Ann was also born at Kilkhampton on 4 November 1820. Lawrence and Ann's children, most of whom were born at Mount Moriac, were:
Elizabeth — born 1842, married Herbert Cotton of 6 November 1862 at St Paul's Geelong, died 20 April 1879
William — born 1844, married Matilda Argus in 1868, died 12 May 1870 aged 26 at Mount Moriac from TB, buried in an unknown location at the Mount Moriac Cemetery
Sarah — born 1846, married Charles Lawrence in 1867, died 1884
Mary Ann — born 1848, married William Bassett Argus on 13 April 1868, died 14 June 1891 at Tallygaroopna
Emma Grace — born 1 October 1851, married John Thomas Argus on 21 December 1873, died 28 January 1935 at Toowoomba, Queensland
Francis Lawrence — born 1852, married Sophia Heard Trewin, died 1932
John Thomas — born 1855, married Letitia Ursula Brown in 1875, died 26 October 1934
Julia Louise — born 1856, died 1873 aged 16, buried at Mount Moriac Cemetery in an unknown location
Charles Albert — born 1858, married Annie Maria Mapletoft in 1884, died 20 December 1931 at Caulfield South aged 73
Henry Lewis — born 1860, married Edith Payne in 1887, died 20 April, 1889
Fanny Victoria Henrietta — born 22 December 1872, married James Moss on 4 October 1881, died 16 February 1923
Ann died on 2 April 1878 at Wharparilla aged 57 and was buried at Echuca. Lawrence later moved to Deans Marsh where his younger brother, George, was living. He died there on 24 September 1891 aged 72. He was buried at Bambra by the Rev J Baglin of the Bible Christian Church.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History