Land in the parish of Barrabool was surveyed in 1839, just two years after the survey of Geelong. The first land sales were held in February 1840. Several allotments were of 600 -1000 acres, effectively excluding small farmers. Most were purchased by speculators.
Section 4, originally bought by Benjamin Baxter, was sold to Hon Richard Gilbert Talbot of Ballinclea in 1841. He established a farm close to Waurn Ponds Creek, the site of Raven’s Springs (where John Raven had first squatted).
“When the first instalment of self-government was granted to the colony of New South Wales in 1842, the Act also provided for the introduction of District Councils to provide a measure of local government as well. In 1843 the District Council of Grant was created — a body of six men who were appointed in the first instance by the Government to control an area which extended from the Werribee River in the east to the Hopkins River in the west, and from Bass Strait to 37° south latitude (roughly modern Maryborough). The vast extent of this area and its small and scattered population doomed it to failure, despite the earnest initial efforts of the district councillors to make it work.”
from Ian Wynd: Barrabool Land of the Magpie
Richard was made the first Warden of the District Council of Grant in 1843 a post he held until May 1845 when he resigned.
He was the third son of James, 3rd Baron Talbot of Malahide who had extensive estates in Ireland and Staffordshire. His mother was Anne Sarah Rodbard. His family was one of the oldest in the peerage. They were descended from Richard Talbot, mentioned in the Domesday Book and the Malahide branch settled in Ireland in the time of Henry II.
Richard was born in 1810, educated at Eton College in Windsor, and Balliol College, Oxford University. He lived at Ballinclea in Barrabool in the 1840s. He inherited Malahide in Tasmania from his uncle.
He held the office of High Sheriff of County Dublin in 1847. He was a colonist of Port Nicholson, New Zealand. He held the office of Member of the Legislative Council (Tasmania) in 1851. He lived at Malahide in Fingal Tasmania and Ballinclea in County Dublin. He held the office of Justice of the Peace for County Dublin. He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant of County Dublin. He married Anne Cunliffe Lister-Kay on 12 October 1847. They had the following children:
Mary Anne Eliza — born on 22 November 1848, died on 4 October 1927
Richard Gilbert — born on 4 August 1856, married Hannah Maud Lovell, died on 12 July 1900 at Dandenong aged 44, inherited Malahide in Fingal Tasmania from his father
Edward Lister-Kay — born on 10 February 1858, died on 15 January 1917
Richard died on 19 August 1879. After his children died there were no descendants.
The Bluestone Cottage at Marshall
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History