Thomas Mallett was a native of Birmingham, Warwickshire England. He arrived on the Travancore on 1 November 1849 with his wife Mary Ann (née Ordige). In 1856 he selected a 47½ allotment at Marshall on the corner of Barwon Heads and Reserve Roads and 30 acres in Sparrovale Road in 1860. The railway line to the old Geelong Racecourse at Sparrovale was later to cross this land. Thomas was an officer of the Corio division of the Sons of Temperance which was held in the Sons of Temperance Hall in Ryrie Street, Geelong.
A number of families from Marshall and Connewarre moved to the Strathbogie district when the land was opened up for selection. By the late 1880s Thomas and Mary were living at Strathbogie North. Thomas continued to buy and sell real estate in the Geelong district.
Thomas and Mary had the following children:
James Theophilus — born in 1848 in Birmingham, married Susannah Gardiner on 22 April 1873 at Aberdeen Street Baptist Church Geelong, died 16 October 1921 aged 73 years at the home of his son-in-law Phil Herbert Harold (Herb) Ibbott of Thurloo, 9 Stanhope Grove East Camberwell, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Lucy Emma — born about 1851, married John Adams in 1879, died 7 September 1926 aged 75 at 12 Foster Street, South Geelong
Mary Ann — born 1856 in Geelong, married George Strong in 1875, died 1932 aged 76 years at Newtown Victoria, buried on 15 April 1932 in the Methodist section of the Geelong Western Cemetery
William Arthur — born 1857 in Geelong, died 1911 aged 54 at Footscray, buried in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery with his mother
Robert — born 1858 at Connewarre, died 1933 aged 75 years at Bunyip
George Gittins — born 1861 at Geelong, died at 7 months the same year at Chilwell
Charles Thomas — born 1864 at Chilwell, died 1938 aged 73 at Ringwood
Ruth — born 1866 at Connewarre, married Edwin Orchard in 1887, died 1938 aged 72, buried 14 November 1938 in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Emma — born 1867 at Geelong, married George Congdon in 1890, died 1947 at Indented Head
Louisa — born 1871 at Geelong, married William James Thorne in 1891, died 3 June 1940, buried in the Methodist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery
Mary Ann died in 1901 aged 76 and was buried on 20 September in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery with her son William Arthur. Thomas died on 3 November 1905 aged 82 at his residence Maud Street Geelong and was buried in the Baptist section of the Geelong Eastern Cemetery. He left an estate of £1964.17.3. He left real estate to his children in Geelong, Barrabool, Marshall and Strathbogie.
One of Thomas' sons developed a jersey cattle stud and was a successful Melbourne Show exhibitor.
Two blocks in Sparrovale Road between Reserve and Tannery Roads (lots 22 and 28) were left to Lucy Emma Adams. Lot 28 was on the corner of an unnamed road. He also left lot 26 on the corner of Brearleys Lane and the unnamed road to her. Descendants of the Adams family lived in Marshall for many years.
The land which Thomas left to Charles Thomas Mallett (blue) was between Barwon Heads and Sparrovale Roads. Only part of lot 17 was included. The land Thomas selected in 1856 and 1860 (orange). The railway line to the old Geelong Racecourse crossed this land. The first race meeting to use the new line was held on 1 February 1878.
Blog Created by:
Together They Served
Torquay Museum Without Walls
Births, Deaths & Marriages Victoria
Geelong and District Database
Geelong Cemetery Index
Australian War Memorial
Surf Coast Early Schools
Barwon Heads History